What engines to avoid?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JaysLawnServices, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

In reguards to your multiple misfire have you tryed a crank re-learn ?

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also never heard of a late midel GM tranny issue...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I posted above that i put in 2 transmissions in a chevy. The first at 130k and the second at 215k. One of my subs has put in 2 in his chevy within 230k miles.

There not as bad as dodges but I wouldnt say its not a problem.

To me theres not a big difference in either truck. I own 3 chevys and 2 fords. Almost bought another chevy but passed.

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Yeah, I saw that. I know you had problems with your Chev, but again two guys having to replace transmissions in 1500's that I assume have plowed (since you have a "sub" I assume you're pushing snow with the truck) is NOT a widespread problem. For every guy on here that has had problems with their GM truck I can find 3 Ford owners who've had it worse. While I consider myself a GM guy, I too own Ford trucks as well as GM and have had Ford's that never gave us a problem, and ones that were total POS's. I've had problems with GM trucks too, but never major ones, just little annoyances.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

Couple times, no such luck. I've replaced all the o2 sensors also, but I think I've narrowed it down to a bad computer, or one of the o2 sensors i've replaced has already gone bad...who knows. Been living with it as pouring money in hasn't really been fixing anything. Ha the only thing I haven't replaced right about now is the frame and the body!

6. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

The 5.3 will definitely not get 18-19 mpg in the city, just so you know. That's highway. I have a 1500 and it gets 14 in the city.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

gas engines? i can only comment on the ford stuff..

F150s... the 04 or 05+ got the 3valve heads and thats the ones that have the sparkplugs snap when trying to remove them unless someone changed them or added antiseize early on...

F250s+/superduty trucks with the 5.4L got 3valve heads in 05 i think, don't quote me on that, were basically told a high mileage 2007 F250 needed a whole engine because shop couldnt get the last 3 plugs out, or pieces of them... Had a neighbor finish the job for $400 and truck is perfect now.

8. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

What about the 4.6L ford?

9. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

I wouldnt want to push any substantial snow with the 4.6 but they seem like a pretty good motor.

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

On the GM tranny thing I don't know a chevy in the late 90's to mid 2000's who hasn't had tranny issues. Its alway at the 130k mark it seems. Also rear ends are an issue too, same with dodge. Dodge motors are darn near bullet proof except for intake manifold leaks. I just did mine at 200k. Also never had a tranny issue and I have 60k of trailer hauling milage. I will say my 5.2 has some gonads. But 10mpg pulling a trailer and 14 hyway.