what equals a cubic yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dannyc33, Aug 16, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I plan on laying mulch next year and have been looking into figuring out how to bid compeditivly and not like a srub> I'm very thankful for all the help with the formulas so far.

But I'ld like to know how many 1 sq/ft bags equal 1 cu/yard. I figure 27, since a cu/yr is 3x3x3 and a sq/ft is 1x1x1.
    Am I right?
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

A Cubic foot is 1X1X1, a square foot is 1X1. You are right, you would need 27, 1 cubic foot bags to equal 1 cubic yard. Mike
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A cubic yard covers 108 square feet at 3" thick and 162 square feet at 2" thick.
  4. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

Here is an Excel calculator to figure from square feet of area to be covered at however many inches of depth and it gives you cubic yards.
    The formula I used is

Square feet of area to be covered divided by 27. Take that number and multiply it by the number of inches of depth and divide that number by 12.

(Sqft / 27) * (inches of depth/12)

Attached Files:

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch is often sold in 3 cubic foot bags. So 9 of those bags equals a cubic yard. I've mostly seen pallets with 45 bags on them.
  6. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

7. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member