What equipment do i need to get started in lawn applications?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Oct 17, 2006.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I am new to this industry. Right now my partner and I do very light landscaping and lawnmowing. We want to explore into the treatment area of lawncare. Obviously, for the monetary issues and because of customers request. I was wondering what equipment we will need to get started and a rough start-up cost of everything. We are considering a open trailer set-up with either a perma-green unit or a z-spray. Using a nurse tank to refill the units. Our average size lawn is about 30000 square feet. Looking for some feedback.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to sound like a broken record, but the first thing you're going to want to do is check into and pursue your licensing protocol, first. Otherwise, you may end up with a bunch wrapped up into equipment that you can't use.

3. GreenHor7

I am in pursuit of my liscensing protocal. I am just trying to prepare myself financially as far as equipment costs and needs go. I am just a little concerned because my partner and i visited lesco today and they threw out several options. We are just not too sure on what path to take as far as equipment options go.

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

fairly vague on your knowledge, just cramming for a test is easy, you might want to do some real world studying while out in the field mowing and whatnot, and some book reading while at home, it will be nearly impossible to come up with a good plan unless you know your area inside and out, temps, local diseases, grass types, typical and atypical pests, you have opened a big bag of worms, do some research and have fun!

so much more to add, do some searched on here, there really is a wealth of knowledge!

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depends on the properties you will be doing. You'll need a good spreader, and some backpack sprayers. If you're just getting started, I'd get a Lesco spreader with a side deflector and hopper cover. 2 or more backpack sprayers. One for selective herbicide, one for non selective, and one for fungicide/insecticide apps. A good hand blower, spill kit. For a vehicle I'd go with a flat bed. Easier to work out of than a standard pick up bed. If you want to get fancy I'd grab a 50 gallon spray rig. Bigger if you have the $$. If you use it for herbiceides, ONLY use it for herbicides. Don't use the same one for spraying shrubs with hort oil, or anything like that. Just not a good idea. Oh yeah: GET A LICENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your Lesco guys should be able to help you out w/getting started. Ask them for a suggested program. Good luck.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have some nice used stuff u may be interisted in for apps give me a e mail to hit u at

7. GreenHor7

My e-mail address is dejavu0016@aol.com. I am willing to take a look at any equipment that you have available.

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I literally started with insurance, licensing, a $300 spreader, a $70 backback sprayer, and a dodge dakota... Added new equipment as I made the money for it.

BUT, I had years of experience beforehand... so I didn't make any expensive mistakes... Learning on your own in this business is going to be the biggest overhead you can look forward to.. be prepared for ineffective treaments,(timing or chemical was wrong) Over-effective treaments, (kill the whole lawn) and generally unhappy customers.

Even long time vets make mistakes, so don't think that you won't.
    If you can make it past the 1st couple years, then you'll be fine... just don't underestimate the amount of damage you can do with a backpack sprayer.. much less a permagreen... plan for it.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is why in this state, you can't even GET licensed without a 4 year degree or 2 years of prior certified hands on experience.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets not forget, if we screw up it takes awhile to show. you can do a Lot of damage in the 4 or more days it might take for that mistake to show its ugly head, by that time you may have messed up several lawns not just one.