What equipment for this job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nickslawn, Oct 9, 2007.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I'm going to bid on a job for this next year. It is a 10 acre cemertary with stones maybe 700 or so. I have a 16.5 hp briggs 42"cut tractor, 25cc trimmer, 23cc blower.. This would be a big boost money wise and also get me noticed by more people. Also the cemetary would be mowed biweekly( which sucks) all trash and flowers picked up, all stones to be blowed off as welll as driveways. What type of equipment will I need. I don't have deep pockets or good credit. Im thinking of biding $2500 monthly.

All help is welcome.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your time estimate for everytime you do the property? Just you?

I would, off the top of my head, figure you're gonna need to spend 10-11 G's to be able to handle this.... and 1250 a week seems low... but thats based on 125$ per hr. for a 10 hr. day??

3. nickslawn

i figured 1 day to mow and 1 day to trim and blow off everything. thats by myself.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man I don't want to be a naysayer but I think you need to be real careful you don't be putting the cart in front of the horse, it just isn't a very good idea to spend a bunch of money for one contract because you could end up in direr straights than you're in now, if this is the case. What I'm saying is, if you need a more powerful trimmer or some other 3-400 tool that would be one thing, but other than that I would be leery of a contract you can't do with what you currently own, and not because of the contract itself, this just might be one of them cases where you'd be in over your head?

Don't let the bling blind you, I learned the hard way anything that takes up more than 2-3% of a company's total resources starts to hurting, every percent over that is one more notch the neck sticks out, heh.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1 man isn't doing a 10 acre cemetery in two days, no matter WHAT he uses. ESPECIALLY on a "bi-weekly" basis. These people are out to lunch if they think this can be done. There was a guy on here just about 2 months ago that had the same situation with a cemetery that only wanted substandard service (every two weeks). Everyone said to run the other way. It can't be done through the growing season.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're gonna do cemeteries this piece of equipment looks right up your alley. You can find out more in the trade publications like "Turf" mag.

Noah Mowing System

Noah 2.jpg

Noah 1.jpg

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Your equipment is way too small for 10 acres. There was a guy on here a few weeks ago that made a post, " 10 Acres How Much". He was going to tackel it with a 48" and a 36" machine. To be productive, you need the right equipment for the job. I would say pass on it. Its not worth sinking 8-12k in the hole on a Z plus other accessories for one property. I'm assuming the equipment you have now is homeowners/residential (non-commercial) If it is, it will not hold up to the high demands this property will require. That many acres will tear that rider apart. Wait a few years until you grow more with res. accounts and have some reserves in the bank, then re-submit your competitive bid.

8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I mow my 20 acare cemetery with a 50 deck lots of open rows 12-15 hours and its a zero turn

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

in your opinion what would justify sinking 8- 12k on a Z

10. nickslawn

never thought of it like that