what equipment needed for leaf cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 29, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i can no longer afford a cyclone rake bagger this year and was wondering what do i need for cleanups?

most of my properties(except one real small one) are surrounded by woods that i can dump leaves into if needed. i have a 10 acre property that i use the owners 16 hp self propelled leaf blower for.(i know i shouldn't but it's the right tool for this job and i am not responsible for it) the rest are about an acre, maybe a little less.

i have:
    craftsman POS handheld blower(bad product)
    tractor can be used to "blow" leaves with the mowing deck(possibly a mulching kit w/leaf shredder attachment-$160)

I am looking to keep costs at a min, while productivity and income high.

also, is there a way to make it so i can use my trailer w/ mesh flooring to cary leaves to town compost pile? (free dump)

thank you all, any ideas no matter how ratical are welcomed!!!!!
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Go buy a BR-600 you won't regret it and get two people to help you @ $10-15hr each. I charge $70hr. to blow into woods $115-125hr to bag it. If you can't at least triple what the blower cost you then there is something serouisly wrong.
  3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

What jazc said. A good back pac blower and a couple of low cost friends.Be carefull if you build a wooden box on your trailer. You may want to make some holes in the front to stick that blower nozzel into, to help off load. Use a tarp, bungeed over the top while on the road and you've got the basic setup. Remember, it's never easy, or they wouldn't hire us.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Buy yourself either a good quality backpack blower or a walk behind blower. The more Hp you get.. the more it will cost. You can go with either 2 backpacks or 1 walk behind. In my opinion i would go with the backpacks because they can be used all year round where as the walk behind would be harder to use year round.
  5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy my walker.......
  6. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Mike pm or email me. Or call if you still have my #. Are you still in school and doing this afternoons and weekends? If so I could probily let you "demo" my cyclone rake. Let me know.
    P.S. Are you still dumping in the dale behind the treatment plant?
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike- I would say to go with one or two good quality backpack blowers to begin with. As Petr poined out, the push blowers are only in use part of the year. We generally make piles with the blowers, then drag them on tarps to the woods or loader. You can use your tractor to drag the tarps where they have to go.
    Unfortunately, low cost doesn't go hand in hand with high productivity and income. You've got to spend money to make money. Good luck, it is good to see you are planning ahead.
  8. mike lane lawn care

the towing tarps with the tractor isn't a bad idea. the way i see it, is that even though i really want a cyclone rake, using blowers and tarps saves a lot of wear and tear on the broadmoor.

I know i should be able to come up with my own rates, but i want to know what you guys charge for leaf blowing and leaf removal, and what it involves(how many visits for a set price.etc.etc.etc)
  9. mike lane lawn care

what does a br-600 cost?
    i was looking ata $350 echo BP blower, anywhere in the neighborhood of the br-600?
  10. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Tell Maria you want a 755