1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what equipment should I buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Whittaker's Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

Hi there, this is my first a an actual business, I was wondering what equipment inshould buy first. So.far I have
    1996 JD GT275 48"
    Sthil MS 170 18"
    Stihl ms 311 25"
    Stihl bg 55
    Stihl hs 47
    Stihl fs 55r
    Stihl fs46
    Stihl fs 45
    Mtd sidewalk edger
    Toro 6.5 hp 21" self propelled, bagging mulching and discharge walk behind mower
    And a small 4x8 tilt bed trailer.
    I.know for sure.im going to buy a bigger trailer this season
    Which equipment should I try.to.buy first?
    Thatcher, roller, aerator,tiller?
    Anything you can think of that is absolutely necessary?
    Any and all input please.
  2. Walkerville Group

Walkerville Group LawnSite Member
    from Windsor

Nice equipment list. As far as mowers, if you were thinking of moving up to something larger such as a zero turn I would consider what type of lawns are you planning on doing. I find most mowers are great for a specific application. I know people are loyal to their brands but I don't think there are any do everything mowers. I have Walkers and they are great for well groomed properties where grass collection is required. The selection of decks range from 36 up to 72 inches which allow for easy access into gated backyards up to doing large swathes of lawn. They are slower than others so if grass collection isn't required Dixie chopper and Exmark might be something to consider. My 2 cents. Hope it helped.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Go big or go home!

Buy a howard price 108" wing mower and haul it on a goose neck trailerÂ… squeeze it on 8000 sqft properties.

sorry I couldn't resist.