What equipment to choose?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shane472, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

I'm having a tough time deciding if I should buy a bobcat skid steer or a compact tractor. Price is not an issue. I'd love to here the disadvantages and advantages of each type. Thanks.

2. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

If you can make it happen get both. If you're only Landscaping, get the tractor, (as long as it's a Kubota). If you're doing a lot of loading, get the skid.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

If I had to choose it would definitely be the skid steer. We are 90% residential design/build. Our bobcats (a 863, 53 & 43)are on almost every site and with the addition of the MT-50 last winter even the small yards have a machine on site. Skid steer is much faster than any tractor and can be maneuvered much easier. Just my opinion ..we have 2 tractors usually sitting at the yard.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

The only downside to a skid steer is the attachments are more expensive than on a tractor. But each is a very useful machine. Ive been wondering what to purchase for next year also.

5. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

Try to do work in an established yard w/a skid steer and see where you wind up. Unless you get an Bobcat A-220 or an A-300 you're going to do more harm than good. I work them both and can tell you if given the choice for just Landscaping I'll go w/the tractor. If you do a fair amount of loading or off loading dirt or sod then go w/a skid. A skid steer will beat the hell out of you in a days work as well. Make no mistake, I love them both when using them for their intended purposes.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

We worked on a water line project we did 10 miles of restoration and another co. got 5 miles. when it flat out running a harly rake on a large area I prefer the trac . alot faster. residential installs skid steer only. If I had to choose only one I take the trac. personal choise

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

So rabbit, never tore up a yard with a tractor? For res. work you can't beat a skid. Get a 3 pt. adaptor and put your seeder, pulverizer, box scraper on it. Gets places you don't dare go with a tractor. Cuts down the hand work and thats the bottom line isn't it? Tractor goes to large props and anywhere I don't want to go backwards for hours on end. Don't go to small on a skid or too big on a tractor.

8. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

My two cents:
    -if you are going to do more landscape beds or lifting heavy loads... skid steer.
    -if you are doing lawn installs or where large properties are involved and don't need the lifting capacity of a SS... tractor.

Me- I use a SS mainly. Large jobs, rent the tractor for $100/day. The only thing I would change; is I would get a SS with rubber tracks (Bobcat T190, T200 or the small ASV/Cat SS). Work when it is a little wetter, more stable (since you are not bouncing around, you the operator will feel a little better at the end of the day),and is "genltier" on a lawn than their wheel counterparts.

9. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD Loader and Hoe, And a Bobcat MT-50 they both get there fair use of work but the tractor is like two machines in one. So if you had to choose get the tractor

10. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

how much are the mt 50's going for..looking into getting one to use for mainly small paver patios..