What Equipment Used For Large Seeding Jobs ,Over 1 Acre

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Tek, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

What type of equipment are you using for large , bare dirt , seeding jobs over 1 acre ?
    Looking for specific makes and model # "s
    Why do you like it , or dislike about it ?

2. 1145JohnDeere

1145JohnDeere LawnSite Member
    from KY

We have seeded some industrial sites and use a 80 Hp JD 6300 and 14' disk to disc up the seedbed. We apply fertilizer with a buggy and seed using a Vicon pendulum spreader. I have a 16' seedbed finisher, actually an alfalfa roller, that we run over the seeded area. We then rent a Finn strawblower to blow the straw. On smaller jobs we have a Case 60XT with a 8' Harley, sometimes we use the finish box behind the tractor.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Harley rakes on tracs. Seed & fert using atv pulling broadcast spreaders and blow straw on. If over 35 acres we start using "farm equip" disk, cullypacker, grain drill, & then blow on straw. Tracs are New holland tc 30 & 45 atv is yamaha big bear with gears, straw blower is Goosen I like every thing about this set up, it took a lot of trial and error to figure out that this set up is what works best for my applications. On the bigger props I use a ford 5000 trac. Finn straw blower that I rent. I only do 1 maybe 2 of the larger props in a yr and have good results with the above mentioned.

Mac

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what about a ZTR with a jrco spreader? i have thought about getting one for fert. apps. thought it might work for seading also.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive only done smaller yards (up to 3/4 acre). Doesnt anyone use a gill any more, or am I not up to speed.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how much over an acre we are talking about. 3 or 4 acres I use an areavator with a seedbox, bigger I rent a tractor and seed drill. If I cant drive over it I use a Bowie.

7. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a gill rake, a Lely spreader to fertilize very large areas, broadcast spreader on smaller. Then I use an Olathe tractor mounted seeder. Its kind of a dinosaur, but it works. Then I blow on straw on level areas. Excelsior matting on slopes.

8. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

HYDROSEEDER....

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hydroseeder, only seeds they don't prepare thhe soil. If the soils not prepared right sod will even die. Its all in the prep work!

Mac

10. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I agree but the question was what type of seeder to use on 1 acre or more. he didnt ask how to prep the soil so the quickest method would be to use a hydro seeder.