1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What equipment would you spend your first $5K on?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HeloPilot, Jun 3, 2008.

1. HeloPilot

HeloPilot LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am looking at dropping about 5 grand on equipment to get started after purchasing my trailer. What do you recommend?

These are the things I know (or think) I need to invest in:

Commercial walk-behind -21"-26" is what Im thinking
    Misc hand tools

Any suggestions? What would you buy with 5K if you could do it again. Remember, equipment only. Money set aside for marketing, trailer and admin
  2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

exmark metro 36"
    stihl fs 80
    stihl fc 75
    stihl br 380
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Everything looks good except the mention of the 26", but I think I would get the KM series Stihl and save yourself a bit of money and have a neat compact unit that can be stored in a locking box.
  4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

how many accounts do you have?
  5. HeloPilot

HeloPilot LawnSite Member
    from Texas

To be honest I have zero accounts. Thankfully I have another professional job that allows me to do this full time as well. I want to start of right with the right equipment realistically. I want to be prepared from the get go and do it right. I will have money set aside for an immediate purchase of a ZT mower when the need is there. I don't want to turn anything down and thankfully have the money available to do it right with the right equipment. I am just looking for the best guidance fro the professionals out there available to me on the net.

Thanks for the replies. I had been looking at the Exmark 36" but wasn't sure if it will get into backyards. In the area I am in most gates are 39" I have a nice Craftsman for my house that I think I will use from the beginning as a 21" if I need to.
  6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

first 5000.00 on alimony and child support.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto. When you get more accounts, you can use the 36 as your gate mower and the handhelds become your backups.
  8. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My 36 exmark fits in any standard size gate. I love this mower, its small and easy to move around tigh spaces but still can make a dent in larger areas if needed. Like stated above (or below)

Its a great way to start out small and work your way up as your company grows. It saves money but gives you the perfect size mower to do most any residential jobs that come your way. In my mind a great mower to start with.

Good luck
  9. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

It depends on the type of yards you will be cutting. If everything is flat then get a 36" ZTR. or a 36" stander. Also get something a little bigger like a 44" or 52" in ZTR. for the bigger properties. I purchased a 44" ZTR. right from the get go and a 36" hydro walk behind. Best decision I made was buying the ZTR. I work solo and I can really get things done in a hurry. I purchased the 36" walk behind to get into the back yards if I need too.

I rarely use the 36". 99 percent of the time I use the 44" ZTR. It works great for the small 1/4 acre size lots right up to the 3/4 acre size lots. Most will tell you that you should start off with out a ZTR. and wait until you have enough work to justify it. I would rather have more than what I need than have less. I can bang out the jobs quicker with the ZTR. and not be worn out. Once you get good on one its amazing how much you can do yourself.

As far as a 21" I would not even waste your money. I purchased one and rarely used it. I don't even carry it with me anymore. Spend the extra money on the ZTR. you won't be sorry.

10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on your area. I have a bunch of lawns I use my 21 on. And then a bunch more that I use my 48" wb, and then some more lawns that I use my 52" ztr. It just depends on the kind of lawns you are going to be mowing. Here, as you can see, you need to have a wide range of equipment.