What equipment you wish you would have rented instead of buying it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Feb 26, 2006.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious what equipment you bought thinking you would have made your money back fairly quickly but took a few years to pay for it and wished you would have rented it when you need it.

I have been renting an aerator for a few years but tell myself i should buy one but have not made enough money from aeration to justify buying one. I guess if i bought one I would be temped to lower my aeration rates to help pay it off quicker.

Seems like an aerator, dethatcher, slit seeder would be some items that would be tough decision to buy or rent it.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I rented aerators for a few seasons.
    I purchased one a couple years ago for the benefit of scheduling the work. Since I purchased an aerator I can carry it on the trailer and add a couple areation jobs each day, rather than stacking them all up & renting a machine.

3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

The two pieces of equipment that I always rent is an aerator and a skidsteer. I plan on buying both this year. I bought a rototiller though and have only used it once. That is something I should have just rented.

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I would like to buy an ariens powerbroom but because of the amount of sweeping i do renting for me is the way to go.:waving:

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest you look at the overall picture. When you rent it is more than the rental involved. You have to scedule to the rental plus the cost of drive time truck, employee or yourself...Rental makes sense if it is an occasional thing. but it is probably better to buy if you rent more than 6 times a year.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

None----I buy it and then bust my azz finding the work to make it pay for itself fast.

Can't stand to rent and try and scheldule pick up and drop off times and better not go over the hrs or your prodject budget will be screwed up.

When I bought my slit seeder I had no jobs lined up so I went out and convinced people that they could spend a few hundred $$$$ and a few yrs working with fert to establish a thicker plusher lawn, or for $300 per 1/4 acre lot I could slice in ner seed for the same result. Did 10 jobs a day for 2 days and it was paid for. so its been a profit maker since. With the exception of maintenece.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I tend to agree with Mac. I rent very few items.... matter of fact, the only thing I can remember renting over the past few years is a harley rake.

I also agree with BeautifulLawns though. My rototiller doesn't do a lot more than take up space in the garage.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We rent some skid steer attachments and even a mini here and there. Can't really say I wish I would have not bought something instead of renting. I'm more of the mindset of Mac and Mark. Buy it, and the work will come:drinkup:

9. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

If I have to rent something more than 2x I buy it

It makes you hustle if you owe on it, after its paid for its all gravy

Renting is for wanta bes in my opinion

I hate having to go rent or borrow something, it doesnt make you efficient

I am so busy april to dec, i rarely have time to fit in drinks(but of course I do)
    so having everything you need at your shop or on your trailer is well worth it to me

10. chaz

chaz LawnSite Member

I also buy everything first and then find work for it. Keeps me very motivated. Renting is for suckers