what equiptment to start off with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Property Plus, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Property Plus

Property Plus LawnSite Member

just trying to get a list of what equiptment i will need to get started

next spring i plan to start as i am still working for my dads courier company and planning going on my own come spring.

i dont have much experience but i know that i like the work.

i plan on starting small by doing yards, fertilizing+weed+feed from tank, (gotta get a license?) and sodding for now.

my friend owns his own pool company doing very well and has opted to show me how to do stone work that i can do for my customers.

but anyways
    what sort of equiptment will i need to get started out

im looking to get a:

riding mower
    walk behind
    gas trimmer
    fertilizer tank
    airator tool ? (lol)
    gas blower and vac

keep in mind i dont know much about the machines so try to be as newbie friendly as possible with the terms!

thanks guys

2. Property Plus

cmon guys!! :)

im just looking for a small list so i can go and do some price comparison and manufacture comparisons

help a newbie out, i just dont want to get stiffed or buy a piece of crap that will last 1 season

also wanting a list of tools that will come in handy

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What type of properties will you be servicing?

4. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

First, yes you will need a license to apply ferts.
    Second, how do you know you like the work if you dont have any experience? Not trying to discourage, just trying to get an idea. Maybe you should take some time learning and researching the "work" and worry about the "equiptment" later. If you ask me, i say you take a part time job with a respectable landscaper who knows what they are doing to make sure this is what you want to do before you jump right in and spend all your money.

5. Property Plus

good advice, i thought about it many times, but i dont want to work for someone for 8 bucks an hour for the summer when i have the money to go off on my own and do it that way.

i've been wanting to get into a trade but finding it very hard to get in and start. landscaping to me is a "trade" in a way. its demanding work and i can work with my hands every day which i like to do..

im nervous to start becasue of my lack of experience but i've gathered from posts on here and replies to other people that i should just read read read do research and go out there and try.

if i go to work for a landscaper he is going to throw me a rake and tell me to work, thats not what im into for experience