What exactly is "right of way maintenance"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 15, 2004.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I see the term, "right of way maintenance" used a lot for really heavy duty equipment and just want to know what it pertains to. Thanks.

2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is it is maintenance of parking lots, roadways, anything with cars nearby.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Road side maintenance. usually involves a bush hog. Also very lucrative money maker as it usually involves city, county, or state contracts.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Right of way when used in this context basically means that someone, usually a government agency or public utilities, can pass over, work through, dig up or do anything that they deem necessary on private property or along road sides, drainage ditches etc. In our neighborhood we have 22 foot wide roads but the county has a 30 foot right of way. That means that they can pretty much do anything they want on 4 feet of either side of the road assuming the road was put in the center of the right of way. If they have right of way onto private property it is usually spelled out in the deed for the property.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area , RIGHT OF WAY MAINT. means the shoulder and median areas along roadsides. Its usually rough grass.

6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Look at Power lines, Natural Gas lines, Roadways, Train tracks, Buried cables, water lines, Protery lines in towns and cities, etc.

The Right of way normally extends X number of feet from the center of the utility or roadway outward on each side. The right of way is needed in order to preform maintence work and to protect.

You may have saw where a tree company has cleared power line right of ways to keep trees from damaging the lines and equipment or a Natural gas line that goes cross country that is kept mowed.

It takes some tough equipment to maintain Power Lines and natural gas lines in some places. Especialy here in WV. where they can be ran straight up and over the mountains. I have saw all types of equipment being used to maintain right of ways here. From D6 Wide track dozers outfitted with brush hogs to 4X4 Farm tractors running dual whells on all four corners. Then tractors being winched by dozers.

I have a Katmotsu PC120 Excavator equipt with a Pro Cut 36" brusher rented that I am using to clear right of ways along a Coal mines roads at the moment. You can not reallly call it a right of way for the coal mine owns all of the property that the roads run on. But when I bill them them it is reffered to as "right of way maintence".