What External filter and pump works best on bottom drain apps?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by scooterbug311, Feb 6, 2008.

1. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

Never installed a bottom drain before. I was reading all the threads on Venturewest's theard and i was blown away to find out that info. So my qestion to the pond guys is.... What brand should we go with on pumps and external filters for the bottom drain app.

And another question... How do you install them? what works the best way? Do you have to cut a hole in the liner? do you use a bulkhead fitting? whats up guys?

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

thanks
    the bug

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

the bottom drains i use have 3 parts. 1st part being on the under side of the liner,. this connects to the plumbing that will go to the pump. the 2nd part connects to the first part on the pond side of the liner. They attach via screws, gasket and some silicone. the 3rd part is like a upside down bowl that sits on top of the second part, this is creates a "side ways" draw of water,, sucking in debris from all angles,, not just drawing water down, but from the bottom sides...

As far as the pumps go, I use PERFORMANCE PRO pumps.
    And the filters are Ultima II's easy to backwash and clean the filter. no messy pads or hosing anything off. most of the times these pumps will pull less power than a comparable submersible pump.