what features to replace?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by spindle, Mar 11, 2002.

1. spindle

spindle LawnSite Member
    from usa

Thinking I will purchase either a;

'97 exmark lazer z with 60' deck,25 hp kohler,640 hours,price = $4200.00

or

'97 exmark lazer z with 60' deck, 22 hp kohler, 1200 hours,price = $3500.00

Can you folks help me as to engine repairs/modifications (i.e., head gasket upgrades)

Mower repairs/modifications that need to be done?

Will be used for personal use only, mow approximately 3 acres.

Thoughts appreciated

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Spindle,

When looking at a used Lazer remember that the engine is the most expensive item and also most often the cause of down time. Have the compression checked, and look down into the carburetor. If the compression is low or if there is dirt in the carburetor then walk away. Most likely if either of these two conditions exist the engine is going to have excessive wear. As far as head gaskets and other common failures, most if not all of these should have been corrected by now. In the case of the old head gaskets and head gasket bolts if they were bad they did not waste any time about letting you know it. The often failed in less than on week of service so you should be in good shape there.

I would also release the belt tension on the mower deck belt and spin the idler pulleys and deck spindles. If they feel rough or are making noise then they need replacement. Check other wear items such as anti-scalp rollers, belts, tires and seat cushions. After you look at all of these items then compare that to the value of a new machine. That should help you with your decision.

Good luck.

Terry

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Spindle,

Why not buy new?

Most of the time, a used mower is just that.....USED UP! Its usually someone elses headache waiting for a new owner to give a headache to!

Things that are worn out on these used mowers would take decades to wear out on your home lawn with a new machine.

Your going to put anywhere between 30 and 50 hours on a machine/year. The lower houred unit has approx 20 years of your use on it! Go new and save the hassles of replacing nickle and dime parts that all add up!

Some things that wear out over time:
    Blades
    Belts
    Pulleys
    Idler Pulleys
    Spindle Bearings
    Electric Clutches
    Anti-Scalp Rollers
    Tires (all 4)
    Caster Bearings
    Hydro Pumps
    Hydro Motots
    Hydro Dampners
    Seats
    Lever Grips

I can go on and on!

All these things above come new and under warranty with a new model!

Just a few of these items above can quickly take that $3500 used machine up over the price of a brand new 2002 Lazer!

Just my thoughts!

Now if I was the one selling the used mower......I would make the used one sound REAL appealing!!!! Been there done that!!

Good Luck!

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id go with the 25 kohler for 60 inch cut. kohler had a problem
    with the later 25 hps ,but i think that was on later models.
    good luck