What fert to use now (Ohio- getting hot and dry)??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PTOhioMower, Jun 14, 2006.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

My gramma had you know who ferting her lawn. She got tired of them bugging her all the time so she fired them. Anyway, her lawn has only been ferted once early this year and it needs it badly. It is getting hot and dry around here ( Central Ohio) and I am not sure what is best to use that wont burn her lawn. I have always done my own ferting on my own lawn and have always used Scotts products. I found a Lesco dealer close to me and Im curious if I will get better results with their products. They seem to have a very wide selection of chems.

So what are my options?? I should note that her lawn is almost weed free, but it is starting to become green free!

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend that you use a good, slow-release fertilizer, with 2, to 3% iron. The slow-release nature will give a controlled source of nutrients to her lawn, while reducing the chances of you burning her lawn (since you're new to this). The iron will give her lawn a nice, green color, that tends to be going away this time of year. I'm in Columbus too. If you need more info P.M. me and I'll help you if I can.

Vic

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would go with the lesco over Scott's. I'm using 30-3-10 with 50% slow release plus 2% FE. I'm applying at 3 lbs per k to give me 1/2 lb N.

4. PTOhioMower

Thanks Vic.

I dont plan on getting into the fert stuff anytime soon, if ever. But since I have done mine and havent done any damage that I can see, I figured I would help gramma save some money by me doing it for her, free of charge of course.

I will probably go to the Lesco place and see what they tell me to use, but I wanted to see what the real pros from lawnsite suggest first.

By the way Vic, my buddy bought your Lazer Z Hp from you awhile back, and he just loves that thing. I may have to get your number from you and pass it along to my homeowners, several of them are not satisfied with thier fert company. They need someone that is reliable and affordable.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

5. PTOhioMower

So I am guessing I am going to have to do some math to figure how much to apply? Does Lesco not have a "spreader setting number" on the bag like Scotts? Sorry for the stupid question, but like I said I am doing this for gramma and myself only.

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

2-3% iron doesn't do a thing ...especially to a stressed lawn. Wait for some rain and put down 1/2 -1lb lb of N

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As Kootoomootoo said, water the lawn and get it out of drought stress first! Applying any fert to a drought stressed lawn is a good way to further damage it!

8. indyturf

from Indy

2% iron is pretty much standard in granular fert and I have alway had good results with it.

9. indyturf

from Indy

2% fe is pretty much the standard for granular fertilizer, I have had great results using it.

10. indyturf

from Indy

lesco bags should have the spreader setting on the bag, I'm doing apps at 1/2 the rate for the summer so I will get 30k from a 50 lb bag and apply .5 lbs of N per K. You could go heavier since the lawn is under fertilized or even better do 2 separate apps about 4 weeks apart. if it has been dry just plan on watering a couple times heavily after the applications. also if lesco doesn't give you a good price since you dont buy a lot of fert you can get lesco fert at Home Depot. I would just spot spray any weeds that may pop up and blanket the lawn this fall with weed control.