What fertilizer and weed control to use

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jcancel53, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jcancel53

jcancel53 LawnSite Member

Hello everybody!

I am new to this, the question is it took me 1-1/2 years to get my lawn to look decent, my mistake was to use TRUEGREEN, signed up with them after they started treating my Lawn it went to hell.

I have BAHIA ARGENTINE GRASS, all of the sutton it has bermuda grass in it, high increase of weeds and I fired them, Going back to using Lesco, need the best recommendations to repair my lawn.

Photo's are attached, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jose

Lawn 019.jpg

Lawn 020.jpg

Lawn 018.jpg

Lawn 021.jpg

Lawn 022.jpg

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, Ric....Where are you? :)

3. jcancel53

I am located in Ocala, FL its in Central Florida

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. No, I was meaning Ric,...a member here who is down in Florida that would be able to answer you - as he specializes in this field.

5. jcancel53

LoL funny,

Thanks very much

6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

get different grass.........do you have sprinklers? if so get st augustine floratam

7. jcancel53

yes, I have sprinklers, Thanks very much Gregory!

Jose

8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can afford it lay down new sod ...bahia is pasture grass...you will be happy you did if you lay down some floratam...maybe ric will stop by and could give you some pointers on how you care for bahia

9. jcancel53

Thanks Gregory, I will get estimate for new sod, and appreciated very much for the help.

Jose

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

J: Let's not jump just yet. You can always have replacing sod as Plan B. Do this and give it another year. What's year when a lot of real hard work is facing you. I just put down 8K of centipede this weekend. That's 16 pallets.
    Firstly, let's look at the grass:

Bahia's Advantages are:

Easy to start from seed

High disease and insect resistance.

Survives in a variety of soils from sandy to clays

Grows well on infertile, dry soils.

Withstands close traffic wear.

Grows thick enough to compete with weeds.

With proper care & fertilizer, Bahia creates a beautiful light green lawn.

Responds well to nitrogen applications - creating darker green color.

Bahia's Disadvantages are:

Prolific seed head production during growing season.

Somewhat open growth habit over time (thinning out).

Coarse texture.

Not suitable for high PH soils.

Low tolerance to many weed control post-emergence herbicides

Susceptible to lack of iron, causing yellow color in spring & fall

Anyway, that grass though course is highly drought resistant and will take a lot of traffic. I LOVE the looks of St. Augustine, but it comes with problems like so many of the herbicides to treat weeds are so toxic to it. Like crabgrass.
    Start now with a good soil test. Take a small sample every 25 ft. then repeat half way between these at a 25 interval. Take it to the county agent and ask for soil text for that bahia grass.
    Apply the correct amount of fertilize according to the soil test. Next you're going to have to deal with the weeds--Know what you're enemy is and if you do not know, take some to the extension agent, post some good close up photos here. What about the growing season. I know nothing about Fl. other than it's Bush territory and I hate him. Back to the grass, Winter weeds will be your first battle. You'll need a backpack OR get one of the Pro-guys to hit it for you after you find out what weeds you have. If you're not adept in spraying for weeds or have the equipment; a pro, not Truegreen, with their form of treatment, would be a lesser expensive route. There are several great people here that can be trusted. Runner even has a girlfriend down there, although she has snakes around her place.
    After the soil test and fertilizer application and you've got the weeds on the run, we'll begin to get the grass back with plugs IF you think it is worth saving. You'll never know until the weeds are gone.
    Probably not what you'd like to hear but a beautiful lawn is somewhat of an art form. Hell, I just got skunked by the county on my 4 little lawns in SC and had the homeowners to get together and put in drain tile, fill the ditches, sod over. I supervised and was not paid a penny. Not everything in life has to have a price tag, but unfortunately most people do not subscribe to this thinking. Anyway good luck, Roy