What Fertilizer to use

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by aircorelocke, Jul 3, 2012.

1. aircorelocke

aircorelocke LawnSite Member

In this Heat and drought what is the best fertilizer to use for the summer fertilizer, is sulfur coated urea to hot to use and the cost of organic fertilizer is to high.?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

None, do not fertilize now. :nono:

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

What is your suggestion on our program customers if we cant fertilize?

You know....there is a fine line between doing the right thing for the lawn/customer and a paycheck to feed my family...

If you say dont fertilize, what can I do to continue to feed my family and do right by the customer/lawn....

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sulfer will not hurt grass. Coated fertilizer is a good choice. Uncoated fertilizer could be lost due to dinitrification. An organic, high in slow release, is also good. Both will hang around and be activated by water when it happens.

And...hopefully stimulate quick recovery from the drought and heat.

However...fescue becomes disease prone when fertilized in hot humid weather--brown patch. Its a risk--its your choice.

However...expect a lot of summer annual weeds when rains finally come, crabgrass, too.

However...expect to mow tall grass more than usual if you have lots of nitrogen, lots of moisture and warm temperatures.

Sharpen your blades, consider a turbo charger for you equipment you will need the extra power.

Plan to help your customers recover their nice lawns by offering aeration and/or seeding, (and offer to use better quality seed).

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Now is a good time to add micros. Sulphur, iron, manganese. All add to color appearence and durability without burning or trying to force growth. For you northern guys it sets up the soil for your fall aerating and overseedings.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How are you going right by the customer/lawn if the application is wasted? If applying ferts when they are not needed means the difference between eating or not, then IMO you need to diversify or think about getting another job.

7. aircorelocke

OK but the price of micros is out of this world Micro - Pel $30 a bag

8. aircorelocke

so do i charge extra for this and some are Pre Pay customers

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sure and with N,P bans becoming more frequent you need to learn to sell something that will benefit the turf.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I over exaggerated and my point was missed.....