What fertilzer applicators work best.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 16, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am just getting into appling a fetilizer program for next year, for my customers, and local athletic feilds. 8 Soccer feilds. I will probally go with some liquid herbicide but I am going to stick to granular for my fertilizer needs. I need a good walking spreader that is easy to use and read as far as setting for lbs/1000 and what do you guys use for open areas. 8 soccer feilds will get old walking them. Also what brand of Herb. Pest. and Fertilizers work the best. I have herd good stuff about lesco, but I am not too familure with there products.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

One question: Are you licensed to apply herbicides?

Homer

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

I DO APPLICATIONS WITH A PERM-A-GREEN RIDE ON SPRAYER/SPREADER and i works out 4 me about $4100.oo
    and i feel its worth it.
    anthony (sorry for the caps)

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

A Lesco push spreader will not take too long on an athletic field. It has a 9ft spreading width. The only problem with it is the capacity. If you can only put 2 bags in then you will be refilling constantly. I know a guy who used to fertilize an 18 hole golf course with a push spreader. He drives around in his truck and drops off all the bags where he will need to refill and then goes at it. It took him over 7 hours with no break. Now he has some big fertilizer spreading machine that cost a fortune.

5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Well hope fully I will be licensed by the end of next month. My to Instructors at purdue have been preparing me. I sure I will. I know what I need to pass the test, but I am new to this so I am not sure on what stuff works the best. I know what rates work well for most situation, but need some info on real world application as far as what works good and what products to stay away from.

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I took the Indiana core test - cold - no study - just thumb through the book. Passed it easy with a high score.

Did the same with the 3a, but I read the stuff two hours before taking the exam. Passed with high score.

Tried the same with the 3b, Did not work, stuff on the test that was NOT in the books. I took the training class at Purdue - which is nothing more than a quick review of enough stuff to make you pass, it works, I passed with high score.

Took the category 6, Right of Way, training as well, it was a joke how easy it seemed. The test was a breeze.

What to stay away from? Anything that is too temperature sensitive like Trimec Plus. Few degrees too high and it will kill everything better than Roundup, Take my word for it!

How did you get your Tech's license if not working for someone and are in school?