1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what forestry mulching equipment should I buy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mikekane34, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mikekane34

mikekane34 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about bidding on a large mulching job (>700 acres) on the side of a mountain. If successful I would need to buy mulching equipment as I already have the hand-thinning crews. I've read many previous threads on Fecon, ASV, Cat equipment but there are so many different views it's hard to interpret which equipment would be the best. I interested in hearing any opinions. Material to be removed is up to 6 inches at dbh and includes oak, pinon and juniper. Thanks
  2. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use several FECON dedicated mulcher carrier machines. They aren't cheap so renting/leasing them for the duration of the job will probably be your best bet. A skid will get the job done, but the FECON built machine with carrier is more efficient. I've used a FECON mounted on a T300 and it was a good system. The FECON heads are very efficient at clearing anything you can put into them. However the larger FECON machine will take down your larger trees without any issues at all.

The FECON machines also have steel tracks. Whether that is good or bad for your application is up to you.
  3. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

For a job of that size your going to need alot more than just a skid. You need a wheeled unit like a prentice or barko. Fecon also makes large units. You may also need an excavator with a mulching head on it. You can look in Tractorbynet.com in the contruction section. PM cbturf,he's got the answers you seek.

Matt T.:)
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with an excavator with a separate power pack on the counter weight, a skid steer is just too small, then you'll want to drag the whole "sealed and pressurized" debate into this.
    Even my brother's 52" Promac Forestry disc on his Cat 320 does a fine job on the 12" trees.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you decide to go with a rotary disc head for an excavator, I'll suggest this company. www.advancedforest.com They build an awesome rotary head that allows you to use a hydraulic thumb as well. He sells complete Cat excavators he upfits with guarding, lights, and the head with all the plumbing, a turn key option. However, I think a wheeled unit would be idea for large areas depending on the terrain. You say you have a hand crew doing the tree thinning, I assume the mulcher would be doing just underbrush, saplings and the like or do you plan on mulching larger trees?
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Agree 100%

Look for max hp in the 200-250 hp range and a machine that can handle slopes (tracked vs. rubber tire)
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

But the heads aren't real good in rock according to the manufacturer.
  8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty clever setup, like a bucket rake, but it's more like a Pro-Mac, but I like it though.
  9. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

Look into fae or fecon for heads denis cimaf is another good place to start. You should look for hendrix equipment on google. You should be able to get some ideas. I'd look for a large tired machine and an 18k plus excavator. If the majority is steep terrain you may need a tracked feller buncher with a head. I'm told there come standard with high flows to run the head.

Matt T.:)
  10. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

You're gonna take on a 700 plus acre job for your first mulching job?

Do you have any prior experience with such work and equipment?