What gas/oil mix for RedMax?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey all....

I just wanted to ask all you RedMax guru's on here....
    What have you found to be RedMax's preferred mixed drink?

What brand of gas and octane?
    What brand of oil and what mix ratio?

The Stihl's like BP93 and Opti-2.
    Been real pleased with that and haven't found a sweeter mix for them.

However... I don't know a thing about these strato-charged engines. So I bought RedMax oil for them and other than that, I've ran nothing else other than a "splash" of BP93/Opti-2 in my trimmer.

Today I ran out of the RedMax oil and didn't have time to go get more. So I stopped at NAPA on my way to the next account because I knew they had that Amsoil Sabre stuff. I got a handfull of the 1.5 oz packages and mixed just one gallon for use in a pinch.

Sure enough I had a pinch right before dark. So I gave the 8001 a 'splash' of BP93/Amsoil just to finish a couple minutes work. It did fine but I was nervous about the 100:1 ratio. I almost added another pack of oil to make it 50:1. But it was OK for that few minutes. I drained the remainder back out of the tank though.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Envy, my dealer pushes the Opti-2. I have been using it all of my 2 cycle units for several years now with good results.

ericg likes this.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah... I've been using it pretty much exclusively for 5 seasons now I think. The Stihl's and Echo's really seem to like it... and personally I do too. Includes stabilizer, burns clean, burns cool, produces little smoke, doesn't stink... and I haven't had an engine lubrication problem/failure since.... even though I had some machines lean out on me so bad they wouldn't run. Ordinarly they'll just sieze up, often before you realize there is a lean condition.

However... I'm new to RedMax.

Are you running Opti-2 in RedMax equipment?

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Yes, I only run Redmax trimmers and blowers. Also, with the Opti-2 I have not had problems with muffler screens plugging up like I did with other oils.

ericg likes this.
  5. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

I have used the Stihl mix, Red Max mix and yes even the Shindawa mix in my Red Max back pack and trimmer. I have not noticed a huge difference in the 2 cycle, but I can tell when I use 87, 89 or 93 octane gas. For me the 89 burns better and cleaner and my back pack (EB7001) eats up the 87 octane.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The ratio is a 50:1. I would say run 89 octane fuel in them (what my dealer recomends.)

I only run the echo power blend oil in all my 2 strokes. Have never had any reason to switch!

7. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks.

That has been my exact experience with Opti-2 oil.

No carbon, no gum, no fouled plugs, ect.

Just reliable performance and great starts.

The only thing I ended up running into was getting down to just 2 or 3 places I know of to get it from... and as my routes have shifted I'm no longer right by any of them.

So a long time ago I tried the old Amsoil Saber because of this and because I pass by a NAPA Autoparts almost daily. I used one gallon of it and switched back. My engines were running hotter on it and blowing more stinking smoke.

Then I tried that No Smoke 2 Stroke brand because I could get it at Tractor Supply and I heard it was good stuff. I don't remember about it honestly. But I did go right back to Opti-2.

So in the 5 seasons I've used Opti-2... I think I have burned like 3 gallons of 'other' mixes... and then one other I poured out for lack of performance, which I really didn't 'burn'.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We use nothing but super tech in all 2 cycle stuff. Mix it at 50:1... Never had any problems. That includes a ebz8000 and a br600.

9. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

I have also noticed that if you mix 40:1 your Red Max will stall, choke and do other stupid-goofy stuff....like not enough power...

10. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah... since talking to you guys, my mowers have been on the Super Tech diet. I was running the 10w30 dino in the engines and the 20w50 dino in the hydros. But I was honestly going to switch back to Havoline because it is easier for me, and the stuff is loaded with moly.

But when I got to WalMart and saw the very small price difference to get the SuperTech 10w30 full sythetic... I said "well heck it's getting cold anyways" so they are still technically on the Super Tech diet... LOL. I'm eager to see how I like this synthetic.

Anyways.... on the topic of 2 cycle oil... I really was going to try that stuff. But I don't know what the deal is here anymore with all the area walmarts... but when it comes to keeping lubricants/oils/greases in stock they are friggin wishy-washy. It was a disaster when Katrina hit and it has never really gotten completely straightened out. It's bad enough with motor oils, but the 2 cycle oils and grease, ect... you can't count on it being there around here and I really like to stay consistant on 2 cycle oil.