What gas trucks can pull a 20 foot enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cimkill, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a 5.7 to pull 5500-6000lb gross load. Tried a 5.0 V8 to pull the same trailer with 5000 gross load and it couldn't handle it in summer heat. Get a trailer with brakes or you will eat up your truck brakes quick and possibly even damage rotors. Just because a truck can stop a trailer with no brakes does not mean it's safe!

Tongue/hitch weight comes down to loading the trailer properly for balance. The heaviest equipment should be directly over the trailer axles if possible.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking rig professional.

3. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

i hope it works out well for you but i could never imagine towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer that can weigh up to 10k loaded everyday with a 1500... that is just crazy talk. maybe some of the newer ones since they are more capable i guess..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

might want to have several transmissions laying around to drop into it if you live in a hilly terrain
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Helper leafs are archaic. Pacbrake airbags are some of the best. You can't adjust leafs but you can adjust airbags. You can also tow way more with airbags not vice versa. I've towed 34,000 lbs with my airbags. I use bags on both my 2500 & 3500 trucks.

On the topic pulling a 20' trailer with a gasser is going to be expensive. Single digit millage.

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm just about ready to trade my Ram 2500 Hemi for a CTD.

No way would I pull a 20' enclosed with a 1500. Every once in a while maybe buy not everyday.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

How many miles have you put on your new truck? If I recall your in the flat Houston area. I don't think you ever posted an answer to the question of how bad the millage was when a few of us had asked on your thread in the past.

Hopefully EFI Live will come out with support for the newer trucks and you will be able to do custom tuning and do a DPF delete if you buy a new truck. The bad thing about Hemi 2500's in Texas is the resale value is really bad. They are very hard to sell outright and you end up getting raped if you trade it in. Get the 6.7 and you'll love it. It will drive like the 20' trailer isn't even even back there. Pulling out into traffic will be a world easier.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

As stated, go with airbags for all the reasons given, I've stopped doing add a leafs because the truck rides like crap.

Thankfully someone made this suggestion early on.

Pulling isn't the problem, stopping is.

Yeah, cuz Belize has a DOT.

Agreed on the bags. I love them.

9. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

Keep in mind that medium and heavy duty trucks use a very similar air bag system.:waving:

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Whaaaaat? LOL