what gets black off the roof

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by jeremy067390, Apr 26, 2007.

1. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

i dont know what to use foor that black bleeding on the roof. i tried stuff from xterior that was for the houses said it didnt that too. nope. pored the chlorine right on there nope. ive been able to thin it out with pressure but thats about it. ive got two jobs in limbo some1 help me out

2. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yep, chlorine is a good killer but does not have any surfactants and will not clean. The TSP will do that.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I've noticed the Black Bleeding only happens on cheap shingles I had a customer want me to power wash his roof last year but I turned it down because the shingles was cheap and I didn't want to damage the shingles and then have to put on a new roof...

5. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

More often than not, what you describe as bleeding, is just Algae stains.

Simple application of sodium Hypochlorite and TSP followed by a rinse with Garden Hose is all that is needed. No Pressure washer involved.

6. squirtgun

squirtgun LawnSite Member

The black bleeding is not from the shingles.It's a form of algae that feeds on the limestone in the shingles.It does matter how much an asphalt shingle cost eventually they will all get it.
    We us ethe same method as Michael with outstanding results.

HPIM0759.JPG

HPIM0760.JPG

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the advise. My own home is experiencing this as well. And after reading this it makes sense because it is only on the north side.
    Mark

8. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

thanks thats awsome. any luck with this on gutters? i use a product from xterior called gutter zap now and a long a#$ brush. works great but i have to order it.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Very interesting. I've seen lots of roofs that have that staining, and I've always wondered what caused it. I too thought it must be "cheap shingles".
    thanks,

10. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Thanks for the info :).