1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What Gets Under Your Skin?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthSide Cutter, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What gets under your skin the most in this line of work?

For me today it started with the way the sprinkler heads were installed. About 3" above what they should be. The mower will just cut them all off.
    And what gets me the most is the guys That spray and fertilize. Today I stop at one of my banks always a Monday-Saturday-Wednesday-Monday rotation. Well they are spraying and dont want me to cut. I tell them I will hold off but dont do it again on any of these days.
    And last its the way the landscapers shape areas. In my yard I have what I call a V ditch next to the highway. You can cut it with any size mower. I have some the only way it looks right is with a 21". They made it a U type ditch. Then they leave rocks in the fill, and dont put enough dirt in the islands.
    I am pretty sure they get paid well, just dont know why they dont care a little more. And some are not like this their jobs are perfect.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I hate it when the black plastic landscape edging is installed in all sorts of tight weird curves that can only be traced with a trimmer, or maybe a 21" WB. Another one is when they plant trees way too close together. You can't get your machine in between them, and after they have a few years on them, they start to grow into each others branches which only helps to kill them off anyway.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If that's the worst you can come up with you're doing pretty good, lol.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I don't know if you meant me or him, but I could type for several hours and not cover everything!:laugh:

5. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree completely. In any line of work there will be things that are a pain in the a$$. Your list is a joke compared to many things I've ran into.

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Biggest pet peeve is that every customer is smarter than you are no matter how much you attempt to educate them they are smarter than you. We joke around all the time about our profession being a step above the town drunk. Good luck and don't let the small things drive you crazy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. what really gets under my skin is them damm splinters, they hurt.

8. billythekid

billythekid LawnSite Senior Member

when stanley steamer shows up and runs all their hoses in the grass....

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i hate yards with 1000 statues,plants, and trees in them...i pass on them every time...people don't think about cutting the grass...they put decorations, landscaping, etc. all around the house and in the yard without thinking about how difficult it's gonna make it to cut the grass.

10. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

Im sure there are more things to complain about but this is in my mind from today. Yards with dog poop everywhere! I talking all over. Good paying account so I put up with the smell for 30 min.