What gets you guys into a dealership for an open house?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ace56320, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ace56320

ace56320 LawnSite Member

thinking about next year already. The turn out at my dealership's open house last year was pretty weak. :sleeping: I am wondering what would you guys like to see at an open house. free food, great deals, seminars, business tips, whats new. what gets your attention to go to an open house? :drinkup:
  2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest open house i've been to served Hooters wings and was hosted by a couple of the midwest bikini team members. They also had a lazer z rodeo going on.
    Don't know how profitable it was for the dealer, tons of people, but companies brought more than normal people. There was probably twice as many companies represented there.
    There were also 4 or 5 of the manufacturers reps there as well.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What would get people to show up for an open house?

An actual chance at getting a good deal.

Our local Lesco dealer has an open house every year and it is always the same old thing. Free food, music out of a cheesy boom box and run of the mill pricing. Who cares? They also have it on a weekday at the end of April. That's good timing. Everybody is too busy for it then.

Have the open house in February, hire a D.J., cater some hot wings and pit beef (BBQ for you southern guys) and give 10+ percent off on everything in the store.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry Richard, BBQ for us Southern guys is Pork...PIGGY. :p Now those Texas boys BBO is beef for them.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think offering a 10% discount on any merchandise purchased is a good place to start. The music and food is good too, but if you can't get your customers to buy stuff, then what's the point. All of the money spent on deejays and hooter's girls will be for nothing.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

like stated in earlier post, 10% off, some good eats, and most important to me is the time of year. If its prime time to be working then I need to be working not taking a day off. Maybe in late November early Dec. that way If you need to purchase something for tax purposes plus its good for the dealers to get inventory out of stock so as not to pay taxes on it as of Jan 1
  7. ace56320

ace56320 LawnSite Member

so a profitability seminar would make you guys run to the compitition?
  8. eclawn

eclawn LawnSite Member

Last year we put on a service seminar, we had a Scag/Echo service Rep. come in and talked about general maintenance of the scag units,4 cycle engines, and also Echo and 2 cycles.He did a excellent job and all are com. cutter really appreciated it and said they would do it again.So now this year we will have a Ferris rep. com in and I will cover 2 cycle stuff real quick again.We then offer the best pricing we can, and the we give 5% of whole good purchase as in-store credit for what ever they wont,service,parts,accessories,or other whole goods.
  9. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

10% or more? How much do some of you people think we get on some of this larger equipment?
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ideally, a 20% or more discount would be required. And pay the sales tax. And free delivery and setup.

That's all.

Oh yeah, naked chicks wouldn't hurt, either.