What gives?!?!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Chilehead, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have noticed lately that many new and existing residential subdivisions and/or office parks have posted signs prohibiting soliciting/canvassing. I remember the day when I could go into any given community and place doorhangers (on front doors) at my leisure, but now get asked to stop by police as soon as I am spotted. How does one get around this dilemma without spending a small fortune on direct mail/newspaper ads? Thanks.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told by a buddy on the police dept that its not against the law to solicit even when posted, more of a common courtesy.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously they don't want to be inudated with cold callers. I would respect their wish is all.

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Get onto superpages/ people pages, do a reverse phone listing search, punch in the name of the street you want to solicit. As long as their names are in the local phone book, you will find their names and address come up. Now mail them a flier. It might cost a little more in time and stamps, but it is one way to get around it.

5. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I also was wondering about these signs, so I looked it up and came to the conclusion that I am not speaking to anyone, I am not knocking on doors, I am hanging door hangers or flyers, sometimes I put flyers and a stone in a clearbag for speed and drive around the community and drop them on the driveway, I think it is a fine line and who wants the hassle of speaking to the police, so I go for the speed and throw the bags,

so·lic·it (s-lst)
    v. so·lic·it·ed, so·lic·it·ing, so·lic·its
    v.tr.
    1. To seek to obtain by persuasion, entreaty, or formal application: a candidate who solicited votes among the factory workers.
    2. To petition persistently; importune: solicited the neighbors for donations.
    3. To entice or incite to evil or illegal action.
    4. To approach or accost (a person) with an offer of sexual services.
    v.intr.
    1. To make solicitation or petition for something desired.
    2. To approach or accost someone with an offer of sexual services in return for payment.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This can and can NOT be true, if you feel that this is the case Go down to the station of records buld and get it in writting,

there is a TOWN next to where I live if you cought soliciting you will be placed in JAIL.

dont take chasches get it in writting

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Then you would have to get a constitutional attorney...and try to overturn a ridiculous ordinance on constitutional grounds. I say go for it!

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

No thanks, I really dont mind if a city votes for no soliciting.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Since my original post, I asked an officer that I know whether or not one can really be arrested for soliciting in "no soliciting" neighborhoods. The answer is that it varies at a very local level. Some areas will give you a warning the first time, and a fine thereafter. Others will only kick you out every time they see you. One point he made that I did not think about is that if the corresponding HOA officers catch you, they often will put you on a community "black list". Basically you're listed in the community newsletter as a business to stay away from.