What gives..........

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fall46, Jul 7, 2008.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

I started from scratch a few years ago and used the below seed mixture....Northern climate MN....Problem is every summer as soon as we hit a dry spell the front lawn gets overunn with a "dead grass look" I do deep waterings, low N late in spring, its aerated in the fall and last year dethatched to make sure my fert was able to get into the soil and not "laying on the surface"...However nothing seems to make the problem go away....Could it be one of the compents in the mixture doesnt do well in hot dry weather goes dormant and is giving the lawn this appearence...... This look is evenly spread throughout the lawn, (not patches). I have gotten 2 soil test in the last 3 years and everything looks resonable...... I just cant get this figured out?

• 20% NuGlade Kentucky Bluegrass
    • 20% Denim Kentucky Bluegrass
    • 15% Inspire Perennial Ryegrass
    • 20% Kenicott Creeping Red Fescue
    • 25% Pennlawn Creeping Red Fescue
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Could be the Ryegrass. Although it is a perennial, it does not like drought and dry. What is your summer fertilize? You could be over applying the nitrogen. Lots of variables. Any photographs?
  3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Creeping red fescue do not like hot/dry situations. It is best in shade situations. I think it is going dormat on you.