What goes around, come around.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB1, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Few years ago lost a property to a lowballer, no biggie, but here is the best part, now the lowballer has just been lowballed. Its like the Limbo saying "How low can you go"
  2. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

At some point, I can see homeowners putting a sign out front of their house: Now accepting bids for lawn mowing, and the price to start at. Then contractors drive by and try to beat the deal and get it. Like ebay in reverse. It is getting bad here lately. Lost a 3 acre apartment complex to the managers 15 year old son, and a 14 year old friend. I told her that she had better buy some more insurance, as they are likely to hurt themselves or someone else, and she will be on the hook. We always received compliments from tenents, and from her as well... sad to see that happen. I hope he can drive soon, plowing starts in November, and she just lost her Mowing discount! payup
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know he got lowballed? Do you actually know what he was charging and what the new guy is charging?
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I find it odd too that people know what the other guy charges, and years later know what the other other guy charges.
  5. Yes I do know how much, and have had property owners show me the bids.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sad but i can see how much will you pay the home owner to cut the grass :angry:
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Don't take this the wrong way, it's nothing against you personally,JB...But I find it reprehensible when property managers have the audacity to show bids to competing bidders..kind of like "I don't care if you know your true costs or even want to measure the property, just beat this price from the last guy, and we'll sign with you..".type of deal...Man, I really hate that . I actually had a PM ask me 2 years ago if I wanted to know the current rates for everything on the property, and the name of the LCO. When I told her "no", she was a little peeved.She asked me how I could possibly know if I could beat it. I told her I wasn't interested in "beating" the current rate, only providing a true bid that was beneficial to both parties. It's what I bid, and if it's not good enough, so be it.
  8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... You know if I am always going to be the low bidder that doesn't necessarily mean a good quality job - agreed :rolleyes:.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When I was purchasing at TGLC I would send my bids out for the plants. the the prices cam back I pucked my vendor based on price and availability.. When I had a vendor come back and ask why they did not get the job to provide the plants. I said XYZ nursery had a better price or their aivailabilty was better. I always got the same reply..."you should have come back we could have beaten their price/avail....." I reply...."You should have given me your best price/avail quotes the first time around...."

I don't mind getting the "last look" so to speak, but it rarely changed things, but it was interesting to see how the others bid...You know... see what corners they were cutting....Getting last look is good as it allows to be sure they are comparing apples to apples......