What goes around comes around

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CustomKare, Apr 14, 2007.

1. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Just looking for a reality check.....I've read so many say they grew a business, hired crews and had alot of business then go full circle and say they downsized and handled what they can solo and they appear happier and make more money with less headaches. I'm at the point where I would like to go to the next level and hire but simple math appears to lean to stay solo.

My question is let's say in a 5 mile radius how many residentials do you do in a day? I've done 8 today average 1/4-1/2 acres and I could have done maybe 2 more with some fatigue. I'm 42. Just curious on what others do

2. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

Stay solo........ to answer your question I can average 10 as long as nothing goes wrong I'm 23 also somedays I feel like I'm 50 and wish I had someone helping me but at the end of the day when I do paperwork I'm glad I'm solo

Last year I hired on a employee and the physical part was a breeze but man to be honest my employee was taking all my profit I let him go later that season My mistake was hiring him on before not realizing were all my money would go........

Stay Solo less headaces

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

12 to 16 depending on what route I'm running that day

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Make your help pay for themselves. When ever I add a new employee, I make sure I have increased my customer base by at least 10 people, or 2 extra per day which should generally cover the salary for that person.

I mean if you can do 10 solo...and get all beat up and burnt out....you can do 12, save some leg for the wife, and go home happier and earlier everyday. When you are ready to add a third person, do 14 lawns per day....and really three people can handle anywhere from 20 to 40 lawns depending on the lawn size, distance in between accounts, and equipment and experience. Now in the same amount of time it use to take you to only do 10 lawns, you are now doing 25 five, with 6 lawns going toward daily payroll, 2 lawns toward gas and mtce, 2 lawns for repair and mtce, 3 lawns for future equipment purchase, and now you have earned a pay increase from 10 to 12 lawns per day. I hope I am making sense....its late, and Crown and Coke is doing more talking then I am .... LOL....But the key is to have your help pay for it self....

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I cant immagine doing all the work myself. I just cant see how anyone could make more money being solo.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Its a mind set. Most times, when guys are downsizing, its from poor management. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am not, but if you manage you business correctly, pay yourself along with you employees, and allowing your business to build equity. Its so much more then mowing lawns, and many guys dont see that.....guess thats why my in-laws looked kept calling my business a hussle, until they started seeing the growth and only then did they start calling my Business a Business.....

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

The main reason lco's go from solo to employees back to solo is not being able to juggle the various tasks without burning out. It is easier being solo, but you also have a limit on placed on your earnings. In another post, an lco talked about temp services. It's a great way to have employees without the hassle of payroll, workers comp etc...

If you have well placed employees, you can make a very comfortable living without too many hassles. After a few years, an office manager makes things relatively simple. Myself, I take care of the jobs and puchasing, the office manager takes care of all office duties. I just oversee things, make decisions and it's pretty easy. Oh, by the way, it's not my wife in the office, so when I say something, lol, it's not fought all the way.

Go with employees, it's the only way to make good money. I'm not talking about $40k a year, more like 4 or five times that with a lot of employees.

My 2 cents. :)

8. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

me either!

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

AND WHAT DOES "FEEL LIKE 50 MEAN ?

I am 50 and some days I feel like I'm 23:laugh:

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

what do you do if you get hurt? get sick? a nice account (say a referral) comes along and you can't take it cause you are full...now what do you do? you severly limit your potential earnings working alone, no question about that for sure.