What goes into a tune up?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by K c m, Jan 5, 2006.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

How do i perform one on my own. My 36 hasn't been tuned since i bought it 5 yrs ago and is still working fenominal. Just curious of what I should do.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically if its still running fine, I probably wouldn't mess with it. however, a tune up on something like that usually consists of a spark plug, air filter, oil change, adjust carb. if needed.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you havn't done a thing to it for 5 years then its gonna need an oil and filter change, new air filter, new spark plug and possibly fuel filter and you also need to grease it.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Standard Tune & Service Where I work....

Replace spark plug(s)
    Adjust carb. if applicable and engine RPM
    Change oil & filter if equipped
    Replace fuel filter
    Replace air filter & pre-cleaner (if needed)
    Sharpen blades or replace (if needed)
    Check deck spindle bearings
    Check all belts and idler pulleys
    Check wheel bearings
    Lube all grease fittings
    Spray lube cables
    check tire pressure
    List and estimate any other repairs needed for customer approval
    Pressure clean unit when work is finished.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Basically (and no offence to those that are mechanics at dealerships) tune-up's are a scam...

If a small air cooled engine is running fine and you, the owner, has kept the oil changed, the air filter clean, and the machine greased, there is NOTHING to "tune up".

The first thing the mechanic at my dealer does to anything I take there is change the plug. Iv'e had equipment for 5 years on the same plug and it still runs the same. Iv'e changed the plug because I was told I needed too and it still ran the same...

Tune-ups are for those that never service their own equipment (homeowners). If something isn't running good, or at all, then it needs repaired or major adjustment. If it's the carburator then the tech, who has the knowledge as to the proper way, can do that. Leave everything else alone! Filters and such are costly enough without having to pay shop labor rates to have them replaced.

Replace belts when they break (or just before preferably), blades, filters, plugs, ect., yourself! If and only if it's not running or driving right, and you don't know how to fix it yourself, do you need to see a professional. Then make sure they only fix or replace what is necessary to make it run properly again. Don't let them change filters and such for you... you can do that.
  6. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure that he was asking what he should do himself, not what he should have someone else do for him.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure that is what Kcm was asking, My post was to use as a guide line for a complete service no matter who performs it.

Sorry Jason, But a tune-up AND service is no scam to those people that have no mechanical skills whats so ever or people too old to perform the work or to people that have the money to pay a Service Tech. and people that can make more money not taking the time to do the work their self.
    Just keep in mind just because one can preform a certain task ones self doesn't mean a business that performs the same task is a scam.