what goes round comes round...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Little over a month and a half ago one of my competitors in town, the big guys that do everything, irrigation, landscape, mowing, plowing, etc., drove up to an intersection next to a resturant I was mowing. Here's the deal, I'm just starting out in this business and we all have to start out somewhere right? Well I'm using a John Deere rider and yes I know it's not "commercial" but you have to do what you can to get started. Anyway, the driver of the competitor truck puts his hand to his mouth and laughs as he points directly at me. Then they both act as if they are laughing at me histarically. I'm thinking, "a-holes", but I bit my lip and didn't say or do anything back. I was pissed but also felt a bit down about it because it made me feel like a pee-on. It bothered me for a couple days but I pressed on and forgot about it.

Well yesterday, I was at the bank depositing some checks and as I drove away from the bank the same guys that "mocked" me were mowing, well, trying to mow a Target store next to the bank. They had a breakdown with their Dixie Chopper and both were hovering over it trying to figure out what's wrong. Well I felt like honking at them then pointing and laughing. BUT, what did I do, I stopped and walked over to them and asked them if they needed a hand or if there was anything I could do. They said "no, we'll call the shop and they can bring us another mower and help us get this piece of crap back on the trailer". I said, well I see you're almost done (they had about 2 swipes left) I'll pull my Z off the trailer and finish for you. I had just picked up my first commercial Z three weeks ago, so I tell them to load their Dixie and I'll finish their job. Took me less then 5 minutes, in fact I was loaded back up and strapped down before they were. They said "Thanks" and as we started walking towards our trucks I stopped, turned around and said, "if you guys need another mower I have that John Deere backup in my shop, let me know."

I chuckled as I drove away, but still thinking "a-holes". Well that night I get a call from one of the owners of that company thanking me for I did. And the guys apparently had told him about the WHOLE deal, even the little escapade at the resturant because the owner apologized for that incident.

I probably should have just honked, pointed and laughed but for whatever reason I didn't. Oh well, I think I still got em' back.

2. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

That is one of the best payback stories I have ever herd. You handled that with class pure class you could have not done any better.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nice story...especially hearing from the owner thanking you for your help.

4. Johnson

Johnson LawnSite Member

You did the right thing. You did your god dead for the day as well as getting your payback! You showed them who the bigger man was.

5. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud your handling of that situation. Not many of us would have handled it that way but you did perfectly.

You earned a lot of respect with that one. Good job.

6. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

You handled that perfectly. If I ever find myself in a situation like that I hope I handle it as well.

7. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I agree, you handled that perfectly. I'm not in this business, but I hope the next time something like this happens in life, I hope I handle it that well.

8. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

hahaha. greatest payback i've heard of.

as I always say--paybacks a b!^$%

9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Ya, we all started somewhere and some would have been considered "scrubs" but but I always remember who signs the front and who signs the back of the paycheck!
    Those guys working for the big company don't have what it takes to make it on their own so there they are.
    I wish you well.

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

you did the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!