1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what goes through your head all day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Aug 12, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Last week i had a customer ask me why i didn't wear ear protection, i said "WHAAAAT???" as i pulled the mini foam plug from my ear.

He asked me what i do all day while i ride around on the machine and asked if i ever listened to music to make the day go faster.

I told him i used to run a fm radio but i got tired of listening to the same 2 radio stations. I told him now i just use the time to think about stuff all day. The problem is its usually the same 2-3 thoughts and the last song i heard on the radio gets stuck in my head ALLLL day.

Has anyone put a FM broadcaster in their truck to broadcast to worktunes? or a similar setup. I have an MP3 player, but i always forget to change the music on it before i go out.
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Occassionally I listen to music...but, mostly it's AM talk radio. Got a great headphone set, and it gets local stations pretty clearly. I just find talk radio a little more interesting than music most of the time...more variety. It can get stupid sometimes, but, it keeps my mind occupied.

I've tried cassette, and then later, disk players...but the setup is usually too cumbersome and gets in the way.

If I don't have my headphones, I just look into bedroom windows.
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

when i'm in the field it is my time to not have to think about anything accept the task that I am doing. it's theraputic in that I get to push everything to the side and just focus on the work. usually i have a tune stuck in my head and that is what i think about the whole time.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i wish i had more ground level bedroom windows :-D

i just dug out my mp3 player this morning after i posted this thread cause i'm waiting for the weather to clear. Now i just gotta find my peltors that i stuck the headphones into...

anyone happen to know the range on those FM broadcasters? I figure i'll need as much as 300' for some properties
  5. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I'm with you SothernFried, I bought a Peltor radio headset and it works great, keeps the noise out and gets pretty good reception. I mostly listen to talk radio since radio stations play the same songs over and over all day long. It also helps you to know when that thunder storm is getting closer, you get static every time there's a strike. Here is a link to the headset at northern tool. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...talogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=200223574
  6. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Check in the Lawn & Garden section of your local WalMart - mine has Worktunes to ~ $50
  7. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

I get a headache as soon as I put on over the head head phones. so I listen to a radio with in ear buds. Its a cheapie radio from Target but it gets in a lot of FM stations pretty good. The ear buds do a fairly good job of cutting out the noise. I dont turn it up loud, just enough to pick up on tunes. Then I zone out.
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Whats running through my head.....(BUSINESS)

I'm always thinking of ways to increase business, expand business, start new businesses, acquire existing businesses.

More business equals more money and more money equals the purchasing power to create more businesses to make even more money.
  9. RedRock

RedRock LawnSite Member

What's running through my head?......What will be BobbyGedd 's next post be about!
  10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

They will maybe transmit 30 feet tops. At least the 1 at radio shack