1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What going on with my grass (pic)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmannj, Jun 4, 2007.

1. grassmannj

grassmannj LawnSite Member

It seems like ever year my grass starts out looking real thick and strong, and the it goes to sht. what is the problem and or the solution. thank for your help.

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a fungus problem to me - usually the result of excessive moisture. If it is , a fungicide will control it , but the real fix is to limit the factors that facilitate fungus growth , like overwatering.
  3. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

What part of S.Jersey you from? just curious. Whats your watering and fert schedule like? Have you sprayed anything? what and when was your last application if any? Jersey has been really dry until this past Sun,Mon. Your blade looks slightly dull, but that shouldn't have to much of an effect, keep em sharp though. Is this the only spot or is it the whole lawn? More pics of the whole affected area would help. Anyway I'm bored sorry for the long response.
  4. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

maybe summer patch?
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

looks like red thread
  6. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I'm having the same problem in SJ. What are the solutions to minimize further damage other than reducing the watering and adjusting cutting height? Are there chemicals anyone can suggest to contain the fugus?
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Aerate once a year.

Mow with sharp blades as the lawn needs it, not cutting more than 1/3 of blade height off at one mowing.

Easy on the cheap nitrogen. Slow release is best.

Check your pH with a soil test and adjust according to recomendations

Water properly. Your average lawn needs 1" of water each week. Deep, infrequent waterings are best. Let the lawn dry out a little in between waterings. You're alot better off watering 1/2" twice a week than giving it a little every day.

A healthy lawn is the best defense against diseases, insects, and weeds.
  8. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I've done all of the above except aerate. I plan to do that in the fall. I think a major part of the problem has been the weather. I saw Scotts is offering a fugicide at my local HD for the first time. Any suggestions on fugicide?
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Do you bag your clippings? If not, begin. Clippings provide a perfect climate for fungas. Sorta a hothouse breeding by trapping heat and moisture close to the grass foliar as it comes from the ground and just ferments the sugars in the stem. I would want to live there with a blanket of thatch holding in the summer heat. I know, I know that I'm older than dirt. Think about it.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

looks like it need some tough acting tinactin