1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What good are walkbehinds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doug406, Jun 24, 2000.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the riders give a more professional appearance, low ballers generally wont spend $5,000-9,000 on a piece of equipment. <p>A rider wouldnt work on half my current properties, but eventually I will grow into the need for one, thus lifting me up another notch in the lawn care food chain.<p>

2. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Those new Hustler hydro WB's go 8mph. That will keep up with most riders if you have a sulky.

3. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Adam, what size lawns are you doing? I've been considering the same move.Been running a WalkerMT42.I thought a walk-behind would be better on my back.The main thing I don't like about a walk-behind is backing up so slow.My lots are about 70by100<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

4. You can't make money if your are in reverse.<p>You should never get yourself in a position where you need to use reverse unless you need to get the machine off the trailer when<br>facing downhill.

5. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

hey bdemer.<br>Try selling your scag on Ebay

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

to me the ideal setup is two riders and one walkbehind on the trailer because you need a walk behind for hills and gated yards and stuff. I see a couple of guys around me that have three lazers on the trailer, i guess if you can do that why not? There are also guys that i see with three 52&quot; walkbehinds on there trucks, that just dosn't make sence to me with the size of the yards around here.

7. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I'll add another advantage that's been hinted at: You get better exercise with a WB! Do you guys with the ZTR's remember your push mower days? I do, and I was never in better shape. Then came 6 years of Grasshoppers, and I made much better money, and am in much worse shape. I bought a Hustler 48&quot; WB last week and I love it! The advantages I see (and imagine - I haven't had it long) are: better on wet slopes, better on wet and fragile yards, better on small yards, good to have as a back-up and: I get to WALK!

8. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Grasscape,<p>That is a great idea! Is that a good place to sell mowers?

9. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

how do you like the hustler steering mechanism. I think i'm gonna drive to the hustler dealer soon, there shortcut with backvac looks pretty impressive

10. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Paddy, compared to the other walk-behind I tried (a Toro with &quot;t-bar&quot; steering) I found the hustler MUCH easier to learn - took me all of about 60 seconds. It's a joy to learn, whereas a friend of mine running a Toro says it takes about a month to get comfortable on the &quot;T-bar&quot;. For Riders: I don't know. I like the look fo the Hustler Shortcut also, and I've seen it make a very nice cut on certain lawns around town. It may be my next purchase, depending on the service I get on this one.