What good is a powerful trimmer, when the line is junk?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 25, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS110R finally...is it the best? I don't know, but it will do for now until I can zoom in on the best trimmer for next year...I did some heavy work today with the trimmer and the line was JUNK!...it was stihl commercial round .095...the dealers told me not to go bigger cause the 25-2 head will not handle bigger, as they said it did not feed right...now is it me, or do you folks with this model have to fart around with the line feeding back into the hole of the head? What line can I get that will handle the powerful trimmers? I went to the redmax dealer and they carry gatorline by oregon (it has four edges to it and a wire down the middle)...does this stuff last, cause I think I wasted 30 dollars on a spool of CRAP...I ought to take it back and get my money back...I have used the echo line and it frayed at the ends too often and welded often...I have not used husky titanium...again, what good is a powerful trimmer if the line disintergrates on contact...thanks...
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Husky titanium is OK line that wears well and does not fray or weld. But that's because it breaks off so dang easy.

If you want some real good trimmer line, look for the blue Mega Twist line from Suffix.
    This is the best trimmer line I have found bar none.
    I have the .095 now I think.

But I am sure the 25-2 head will accept larger diameter in this particular line.
    I really like the 25-2 head too by the way.
    Once you get aquainted with it, I'm sure you will too.
  3. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

actually that stihl line is just fine for anything... mainly trimming like its made for. you should invest in a fs250 for bigger jobs with a bike handle. the fs110 r isnt to powerful for stihl line your probaly one of those guys that always has to tap the freakin head for no reason. or freakin trys to cut down trees with it. get a blade for that.. trust me this line is good. i prefer a round line for trimming and a shaped design for tall thick grass , or a blade.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use 95 square line. It lasts a long time, and zips through the toughest stuff. I snatched one of those pesky sidewalk lights the other day. It was glass and pretty heavy. I snatched a plastic one and sent it flying! I hate those damn things.
    On a side note, Tractor Supply has a good line at a good price and it has a web wrap to keep the line from unraveling. That's on the big spools.
  5. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We use the Echo 105 line on that trimmer. 2 x 15 feet if I remember right. There is no problem with the feeding.

6. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

the green/blue 0.95 stihl line is good. The so called premium orange 0.95 sucks. The blue lasts forever. Which did you buy.
  7. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

I use the stihl .105 red in my 25-2 head and never have a feeding problem.Try a small pack and see for your self.
  8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

the stihl catalog says the 25-2 head is standard with .095 or can use optional .105

I have had good luck with echo crossfire line, but you must store the spool in water to prevent the fraying. husky titanium is pretty good too, but I like to have an edge on my line.

What do you guys mean by line welding?
  9. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have the same trimmer and found the square line works the best. Another thing to try is the Stihl polly cut head. I use to use it on my old Shindaiwa T 27. It is great for real thick stuff, yet you can still use it for normal trimming. Thinking about getting one for The FS 110.
  10. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Just taking a guess on line welding. Is that when the line sticks itself together in the head and won't feed out, so you have to take the head out and unwind about 3 turns off of it to unstick it. Happens to me pretty often in the cemeteries. I am using a 5 lb spool of Weedeater brand .080 right now. It's ok, can't complain it gets the job done.