What GPS System is everybody using to keep track of their crews?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MidAtlantic, Feb 14, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

Within the last year we have had 3 accidents with company vehicles. I am looking to cut back on the possibility of joy riding and improve the efficiency of the crews by reducing the milking of hours.

I was wondering what system everybody is using since we can not hold their hands and drive them to every job. Is it a stealth system or something they know about? How much is the equipment cost and monthly fees? I was thinking of live tracking so I can do random surprise visits to keep the guys in line.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I just look in the mirror to keep track of mine...................sometimes I still lose em. :dizzy:

3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We Previously used Teletrac for our trucks. It cost around $80 monthly per vehicle & it was also the way we communicated with the crews. Since then, we have discontinued the system, and started requiring the drivers to provide their own cell phones, since we do not pay hourly, we do not have the pay problem. We did catch a couple drivers "sidelining" us over a 2 year period, but that was the only value we derived from the system.

TJ

4. MidAtlantic

Morning Guys,,,

Hommer,

Like always your replies are very humorous!!!! After finding chicken bones, chips and coke stains in the back seat are of my crew cab I stopped letting any of the employees from riding back there...I dont want to see another one of their faces in my mirror....Its bad enough looking at my face all day in traffic :cool: ...Hell they dont care if its a company work truck or the boss's $40K+ truck. All they care about is that you dont ding or let their car get dirty at the office.....

TJ,

Good to hear from you again...So didn't like teletrac??? I'm kinda of a control freak in the sense that I like to know whats going on at any given time. Plus I have caught some of our employees using the company trucks and job materials or equipment on side jobs. Who knows what happens when I am out of town or on the weekends. I kinda like how you can ping a truck and get the exact location of the crew or pull up 90 days of work.

So what else didn't you like about it besides the expense? Wouldn't it be nice to sit back in the office and pop on the computer and see where all your crews are on one screen? I know its just another cool gadget but it helps ensure the guys stay in line cause they are always only looking out for themselves in the end. And always willing to take on side jobs at your expense cause the damn customers always tempt them.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

GPS system? It's called Rodfather knows where you are and where you should be at all times!!! Period

6. MidAtlantic

:gunsfirin

Is that god father or rodfather????? :gunsfirin

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same difference LOL :D

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Actually.............I meant I was the crew. :cry:

9. lennonpaul

lennonpaul LawnSite Member

i dont think the gps system is necessary. If you run a consistent route every week , you should have the expected return arrival times on paper, which would alleviate joy riding if you held your guys accountable to it. Even if they are on sallary you still dont want them wasting your gas driving around senselessly.

10. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and route a schedule for the next day and print of a 6 page map with turn by turn directions and the guys read off the directions to each other and scratch off the job on the paper after they have completed that stop. My problem is this. I hate printing all that paper and sitting in front of the program every day typing in address after address. is there some other way.

Ideally I would like to have a GPS unit in the truck with the guys and they would have the whole day routed and also would have voice turn by turn directions. I would love the option of being able to add to the route in the middle of the day wirelessly from my laptop. Not totally necessary for the rerouting in the middle of the day. I would like to be able to enter all my clients addresses on MY COMPUTER not in a GPS that takes forever. Enter the addresses for all clients that this truck will service and just click next to which ones to do for the day. then upload it in 5 minutes into their GPS. I would save myself at least 1 hour per day. Not to mention how quickly these guys would navigate and I could turn on the trails from where they have been throughout the day and I would find out if they were doing side jobs.

I talked to Teletrac today and they don't offer the visual GPS map. They do now have the voice prompt directions but I think the guys should also have the map handy. BLA BLA BLA. What are you using. Don't say a Mapsco.:hammerhead:

My precious sleep.