What grade gas do you guys run in your 2 stroke equipment

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by coreyod21, Jul 26, 2012.

?

WHat grade gas do you use with your 2 stroke handhelds?

1. 87 Regular

62 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. 89 Plus

34 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. 92 Premium

60 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. coreyod21

coreyod21 LawnSite Member

Before I knew any better I was running 87 with echo premix in my husqvarna backpack 150 bt for about a year until I heard a slight knock. Did a little research ( back off the premix ):hammerhead: and realized I'm supposed to run 89. Been ever since even with my new/old husqvarna's and my echo hand helds with no knocking noise or problems. I have a friend who landscapes and uses 87 goes threw echo trimmers alot with problems. So what do you guys run grade wise? Does it really matter?

2. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

We only run premium gas in our equipment (mixed with stihl oil), such as trimmers, blowers and chainsaws. The equipment has really worked well since we made the switch. We used to be cheap and use regular unleaded. The equipment had all sorts of problems. It is worth the extra $

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

We run 87 and stihl two stroke oil and have never had any fuel related problems in any of are handhelds.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Preminum fuel may cause your air cooled engines to run too hot.

5. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

All the small engine places here recommend 89 so that is what we use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I had been running 93 with Stihl HP ultra for two years until I switched last week to red armor. Half the cost and the dealer swears it is a better product. And just do everyone knows, echo and stihls synthetic oils are identical except for the amount if dye in one compared to the irger
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

The book(s) call for 89 octane fuel in my Stihl, Husqvarna & Kawasaki handhelds, so that is what I use. Everyone has an opinion, but the folks that make the equipment should know what is required. I only use the mid-grade (89 octane) Sinclair (no ethanol) gasoline and Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil. All the equipment runs excellent with very few problems, and none related to gas or oil.

8. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

I use 87 in my stihl handhelds with stihl oil with no issues. I also have worked with those who use premium and they perform exactly the same with no engine issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

93 in the handheld stuff. 87 in the mowers.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

87 in everything...
    Posted via Mobile Device