Lawn Care Forum banner

WHat grade gas do you use with your 2 stroke handhelds?

• 87 Regular

Votes: 81 41.5%
  • 89 Plus

Votes: 41 21.0%
  • 92 Premium

Votes: 73 37.4%

What grade gas do you guys run in your 2 stroke equipment

56K views 67 replies 51 participants last post by  Dandan111 
#1 ·
Before I knew any better I was running 87 with echo premix in my husqvarna backpack 150 bt for about a year until I heard a slight knock. Did a little research ( back off the premix ):hammerhead: and realized I'm supposed to run 89. Been ever since even with my new/old husqvarna's and my echo hand helds with no knocking noise or problems. I have a friend who landscapes and uses 87 goes threw echo trimmers alot with problems. So what do you guys run grade wise? Does it really matter?

#28 ·
I run 87 and Wallmart oil and I'm getting around 2000 hours of life 80% full throttle
What are you guys getting with that expensive oils and 93 octane
Ouch...87 octane and orange bottle Stihl oil for me...works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
Where can I find 92 octane at?
Why would you be looking for it? It's one point less than 93...chances are, if you need premium fuel you need all the octane you can get. For example: my supercharge Tacoma requires premium fuel...even some 93 octane detonates prematurely.
Posted via Mobile Device

#34 ·
ive had quite a issues with my echo trimmers over the pat couple of years.... carbs goin to **** by the end of the season, every year...i use lesco brand or echo brand oil mix with 87 octane....i have at 5 trimmers that are ran 5-6 days a week... with regular maint....and every year at least 2 or 3 trimmers have to have new carbs...

#36 · (Edited)
I run stihl handhelds with the the stihl ultra mix. One time I run out of the ultra mix and used the echo mix I had on the trailer and all my equipment started spitting and sputtering and hard to start. I'm not positive it was the mix but I will never use echo 2 cycle again. It's almost like it gummed my carbs up.

#37 ·
Ethanol is the devil.:)
You are......Correct sir! Ethanol is enemy number one! I use mid grade with Echo or Redmax oil and Startron ensyme treatment. @ the end of the season I fill up with super to prolong the life of the fuel over the winter off season. I always advise homeowners to fill up there gas cans with super cause they won't be using up the gas as rapidly as we do.
Posted via Mobile Device

#38 ·
Well explained Tizzy. I for one many years ago did not understand octane ratings either. When I would occasionally try high octane fuel in my vehicles with absolutely no noticeable performance gain....I was perplexed. Years later I understand that my vehicles were designed to run on 87 octane and most likely would never benefit from anything higher.

I use 87 in all of my lawn equipment. I have tried 89 in my Red Max trimmer and Husqvarna blower and cant tell any difference.

The differnce is not really in how the equipment performs. Its how long it lasts and how well the carbs and other fuel related components of the engine hold up. A 2 stroke engine will run cleaner and have less carbon build up if used continuously with higher octane gas. The same can be said for 4 stroke engines. The results are also not noticeable in a short amount of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

#42 ·
i use premium in all of my equipment cause its a cleaner quicker burn and run better trough my engines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.