1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What grade gas do you guys run in your 2 stroke equipment

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by coreyod21, Jul 26, 2012.

?

WHat grade gas do you use with your 2 stroke handhelds?

1. 87 Regular

61 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 89 Plus

34 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. 92 Premium

60 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you be looking for it? It's one point less than 93...chances are, if you need premium fuel you need all the octane you can get. For example: my supercharge Tacoma requires premium fuel...even some 93 octane detonates prematurely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run 87 in everything from vehicles to lawn equipment. never have had a single issue with it.

3. CandyAces

CandyAces LawnSite Member

Ethanol is the devil.:)

4. brunnersltd1

brunnersltd1 LawnSite Member

ive had quite a issues with my echo trimmers over the pat couple of years.... carbs goin to **** by the end of the season, every year...i use lesco brand or echo brand oil mix with 87 octane....i have at 5 trimmers that are ran 5-6 days a week... with regular maint....and every year at least 2 or 3 trimmers have to have new carbs...

5. turf&tree

turf&tree LawnSite Member

87 octane in everything. Stihl ultra oil actually prolongs mfg warranty by 1-2 years.
    I also use K-100 additive for the ethanol.

6. CandyAces

CandyAces LawnSite Member

I run stihl handhelds with the the stihl ultra mix. One time I run out of the ultra mix and used the echo mix I had on the trailer and all my equipment started spitting and sputtering and hard to start. I'm not positive it was the mix but I will never use echo 2 cycle again. It's almost like it gummed my carbs up.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

You are......Correct sir! Ethanol is enemy number one! I use mid grade with Echo or Redmax oil and Startron ensyme treatment. @ the end of the season I fill up with super to prolong the life of the fuel over the winter off season. I always advise homeowners to fill up there gas cans with super cause they won't be using up the gas as rapidly as we do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

The differnce is not really in how the equipment performs. Its how long it lasts and how well the carbs and other fuel related components of the engine hold up. A 2 stroke engine will run cleaner and have less carbon build up if used continuously with higher octane gas. The same can be said for 4 stroke engines. The results are also not noticeable in a short amount of time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

92 octane ethanol free gas Opti-2 oil.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Lawn Care Etc.

Lawn Care Etc. LawnSite Member

I only use non-ethanel so it's normally 92