What granular products do you use?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by dtally, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Personally I have used Nutrient Plus products for a few seasons now with mixed results. I know that this is a broad subject and is open to much speculation. I am just curious to what products many of you use and what result you are achieving. I want to gravitate to a full organic program and get away from “organic based” products. I have started using ICT and NPP products for Bill with great results... good job Bill. One product that I do like and that does a great job, :cry:(go ahead and Slap my hand) is Cavalcade by Nutrients Plus for broadleaf and crabgrass pre-emergent. Another product of theirs I like is Nature Pure and Nutrients Plus.

Has anyone had any experience with Nature Safe products?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Land o Lakes purinas company, Bradfield Organics makles some ferts that are meal based, Alfalfa, soy, etc they also wrap it with NPK

I keep hearing that Fertrell is supposed to come out with a granular in 3 grades, 2 for golf courses and one for lawn and landscape. It is made from mostly rolled humate. I have yet to see it though. I think with the high cost of fertilizer we will start to see some alternatives that until now have not been cost effective

I know we are having excellent results teaming with Nutrients Plus, some of the sports and golf turf are really beating every expectation of the supervisors. Pretty stunning results, with little to no disease issues.

Your customers hire you to maintain a nice stand of turf with little to no weeds, if you don't do that they will simply hire someone else. How you handle the weeds is up to you.

Good IPM methods work the best in my opinion. There are occasions where you are hired and the site is more weed than turf, I believe you get the site under control by whatever cost effective means you can and then work from there.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

a little soy and some corn meal, not to much, 2 tons per year.....
    sewer sludge( limed with no heavy metals)
    fish meal( sun dried/home made) this goes into the compost.
    sea weed meal( dried and extruded)
    worm casts, compost.

i wish i had a more impressive list.........almost to simple

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

well, I got the sewer sludge and am working on the compost and castings. The rest I think will be a little harder for me to get a hold of being I don't live on the beach.

5. treegal1

water plants are water plants in my book

6. DeepGreenLawn

I think your fish meal and dried water plants are going to be a whole nother fun thread in a little bit.

7. DeepGreenLawn

OH right, meant to add this to the first post...

I started out with a liquid fert and Bills product. Well, Bills is fine, the other stuff not so much. Stick to stuff with OM whether it is something like nutrients plus stuff, some have an OM %, or compost, that is what I am using now. Compost, compost, and more compost, and then throw ICT in with it.

Fun fun.

8. treegal1

if one of these product guys was real sharp, they would help me figure out how to press compost into "granules"

SHOW ME THE MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

9. DeepGreenLawn

it would be just the same though, that would be a lot of bags of compost.

10. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Why couldn't you mix it with something maybe dryed molasses and put it through a pellet mill, been thinking about it myself, there has to be a way, I've seen pelleted compost. Just make small pellets or grind them and its granular.