1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What grass is best for striping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CaptainPike, Sep 27, 2010.

1. CaptainPike

CaptainPike LawnSite Member

I replanted my front yard with fescue. It's finally starting to thicken up a little and for the first time, I have stripes in my yard. There are still some bare spots so it's not pretty, but it does stripe.

So what is the best grass for striping? Does some grass not hold a stripe at all? One yard I cut is all bermuda and it does not stripe.

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO you cant beat fescue for a stripe. Its broad leaf and had a good light and dark side to the blade.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

the only fescue that hs broad leaf is Tall fescue, the K-31 type, which essentially doesn't hardly strip. This is seconded only by Turf Type tall fescues, which are a medium blade. All others, like creeping red and chewings, have very fine blades, which are only about as wide as they are thick. Now,...if you want to see what is probably thee number one striping grass,...look at Kentucky Blue. There is nothing like it, with it's texture, softness, and high color contrast.
  4. ef200098

ef200098 LawnSite Member

i agree runner, kentucky blue takes best to striping. the grass is just so soft that it stripes well. That being said, my yard is completely jaguar fescue.