What grass is this? Florida guys look -

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Dec 8, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

During my recent visit to Florida my in-lawns had a new grass in the lawn, he was unsure how it got there or what it was. The lawn is a St. Augustine lawn, In the areas where this grass is there is bad leaf spot on both grasses. I'm thinking it's carpetgrass but I have never delt or seen this grass before so I have a few questions:

1) What grass is this?

2) In a St. Augustine lawn is there a way to rid the lawn of this grass without damaging the St. Augustine?

3) Are there suggested pre-m measures to prevent it from coming back?

Here is the first photo:

toms lawn 1.jpg

2. KirbysLawn

A closer look:

toms lawn 2.jpg

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like nut sedge. It is a major problem in St. Augustine lawns, it grows like wildfire and it is very hard to kill. Once you get it you might as well spray round up, put down a pre-emergent and re-sod. Everytime I have seen anyone spray for it the St. Augustine was damaged and it still did not die. Like I said before it is very hard to get rid of because of the waxy cuticle and how it spreads under ground.

4. KirbysLawn

I have never seen purple nutsedge here but some at another site suggested it might be, after reading the link below it may be that. The nutsedge we have here is mostly yellow and has no runners. IF anyone has more input or suggestions please advise.

http://ag.arizona.edu/turf/glf0696.html

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray, if you have any of it with you, check to see if a cross section of the stem is triangular. Sedges are triangular stems - lots of types, but yellow and purple are the typical lawn weeds. Yellow also has the underground lateral stems, and nodes of these underground parts form nutlets, hence name nut-sedge. Nutlets are the main problem; easy to knock down the shoots, but hard to translocate enough chemical to nail the nutlets. Up here Manage is the usual choice, but it will take years of multiple apps to gain a good control.

Roundup is not a great solution either, because of the translocation problem. I did that on some yellow nutsedge years ago, then tilled and sodded. Next summer there was just as much nutsedge as the year before. Live & learn. LOL.

Only 100% cure, if you have it started in a small area, would be to remove soil to a 4" to 6" depth (for yellow, I've never dealt with purple), and replace with uncontaminated soil, then seed or sod.

I have gotten nearly complete control in one app in two cases where a new lawn was riddled with yellow nutsedge brought in by builder or landscaper providing topsoil for site. As soon as seeding was 2-3 months old, hit them with Manage.

I also see yellow nutsedge starting from seed on a number of sites each year - yellow spike stands out when mowing. These I just pluck the shoot out by hand, since nutlets are not formed yet.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like nutsedge to me too. I hate it when it gets into customers lawns because it looks so much like northern grasses and my customers are reluctant to have it removed. It is tuff to get rid of but can be done if you have a spray company that knows what they're doing and the customer will hold off on watering.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Maybe green kyllinga or flatsedge ......looks like a nutsedge but unlike yellow or purple nutsedges .... does not have any underground tubers and has ==> green rather than yellow or purple flowers ....so when it flowers (may -oct) is it a little green looking bud

Either way it's a weed down here ....PreM's like Dimension will help to limiting germination ...in the spring while under 60 temp ...Post M's like Manage or Image ...Hand Pulling small areas works too ....as sprays are slow ...n can hurt the St. Aug when it gets hot out

It spreads thru Seed and Rhizomes from mowing & foot traffic or just a good wind from the neighboors yard

Here's a good id site
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7459.html