What grass seed type to choke out fescue?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Greenbrier, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Greenbrier

Greenbrier LawnSite Member

I have a client that has K31 tall fescue, and they want a short grass instead. What would be a good choice, if any? I thought Bermuda would choke out anything over time, so would zoizia. What about centipede? What would be the best way to transform this lawn from K31 , to a nicer quality grass yard without digging it all up with a bobcat? THey are okay with overseeding over a few years to complete the job.

Thanks for your help.

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Companion seeded zoysia is a nice lawn, but it won't overtake fescue. You would have to do a chemical kill on the fescue (Roundup), then burn or rake off the trash and seed.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Jeff is right--unless you want to plant Kudsu vine, then the villagers would be after you with rakes and clubs. Rebel II is a finer fescue that likes sun and shade, but it's still fescue. Fescue forms such a tight rooted mound. So tight that it is almost impossible to dig. You are in a sandy type soiland If you do have to kill, then remember centipede sod will replace it rather quickly. How much are you looking to replace. Good Luck

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

There used to be a chemical called TFC tall fescue control that when sprayed would selectively kill out tall fescue from bluegrass. Don't know if it's still made, but I think Lesco used to sell it.