What grass under trees??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by David C., Mar 20, 2008.

1. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Got a customer wanting me to seed some grass on his lawn

Here's the skinny

Burmuda survived last years drought and will recover out of dormancy

Areas under trees are bear dirt---Sweet Gum, Pin Oak, Hickory---typically grass won't grow under these trees

Any of you guys know what type grass I can either seed or sod out that will survive under these type shade trees??

My area is Central Alabama---south of Birmingham---typical Summer temps---in the upper 90's and 100's a good bit of the Summer

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How big are the trees? How much sunlight gets through the trees canopy?

3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

6-12 inch diameter at the trunk base

I believe enough sunlight gets through---its just that the tree roots have sucked all the ground nutrients from the soil---so that the grass has no nutrients to grow properly

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

When I was down in N.Cen. Florida a few months ago we noticed the greenest grass was under the large trees. We theorized that the canopy had protected then from the frost.

Add some compost to the area that you want to seed under the trees. Because it is compost and not topsoil you will be able to go thick enough without suffocating tree roots.

5. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

Probably will not be able to get any grass to grow. Zoysia might have a chance it the shade isn't to bad...but after a few years it will thin out.

Might want to try Liriope or Ophiopogon as a grass like groundcover.

6. Brown's LC & L

Brown's LC & L LawnSite Member

Ever try Creeping Red Fescue? It's supposed to do good in shaded areas. I planted some in a heavily shaded yard in the fall and so far so good.

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine should do pretty well.

Ground cover would be your next best option (i.e. ardisia, asiatic jasmine, leriope, etc.)

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

What about patriot bermuda? I heard that it favors shade.