1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What grassy weed is this?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by assemblage, Mar 8, 2011.

1. assemblage

assemblage LawnSite Member

I'm finding this

[​IMG]

among my bermuda that's starting to return from dormancy. I'm finding it in my backyard just a little where I used stonewall preemergent and more in the front where I didn't use stonewall. Also a lot more on the shady side where I also didn't use stonewall. It just started sprouting up like 2 weeks ago when it got warm.

I notice that it isn't growing out any runners like bermuda or centipede and the base near the ground is purple. Anyone know what it is?

2. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. novastar

novastar LawnSite Member

4. assemblage

5. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

All you need to do is pull it and roll the stem between your thumb and index finger. If you feel 3 points its nutsedge. weedalert.com might help also.

6. assemblage

It looked like nutsedge, but didn't really seem triangular to me. I didn't spray anything on them and just pulled what I could, but really didn't have much time to mess with it. I let a patch grow and it got a lot bigger than any nutsedge that i was dealing with last summer. I also thought nutsedge was a hot weather weed. In the meantime I've been mowing low with my reel mower (3rd notch from the top on Tru-Cut c27 so still high for reel mower but much lower than rotary) and went to flower and it's definately poa annua.. I don't think it's Poa Trivialis because this, http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/agry-98-02.pdf, says Poa Trivialis seldom develops seed heads when cut low and I'm seeing seed heads/flowers on the Poa 1" high grass clusters. It's also in the areas where I didn't do the pre-emergent. I thought Poa was a winter grass though, so it's weird to see it sprout now that it got warmer.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/html/mark_paisley_wgc.htm