What grows under pine trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ripple, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

What is good to plant under huge (30') pine trees? Grass will not grow...Mulch looks like crap because it always has pine bows and needles in it....
    Maybe creeping juniper or will Rododenrians grow under pine trees?
    Please advise if you have any suggestions!
  2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Azaleas Love the Acid
  3. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Good point....there is one and it is healthy....its just a huge area 15X30 and it needs more...
  4. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

any acidic loving, shade loving plant, You can however grow grass under pines tho yo uhave to prep right use right seed and neautrilize the soil . I have a big rennovation job this week and wil be seeding under pines get the ph to 7,0 use the right seeds it works, but you need to regulary annually over seed those areas also
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Use pine needle mulch under a pine tree. The pine tree will refresh the mulch on its own. Shrubs or perennials under any tree will need more water than if they were out in the open since they are competing with an established tree for soil moisture.
  6. KyTurf

KyTurf LawnSite Member

all junipers need full sun creeping junipers is a bad choice
  7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

This is the best answer
  8. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

If you're looking for some type of ground cover, I've had great success with euonymus. Thrives in the shade. Stays green year round. Pine needles don't affect it.
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to try liriope. It is a shade loving grassy type perrenial that will grow almost anywhere. I remember when I was going for my hort degree, periodically we would work in the gardens at the college, and there was a really healthy patch of liriope growing under a large pine tree. The only maintenance was taking a lawn mower to it in the spring.
  10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies....I will let you all know how it turns out...