1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What guage trimmer line do U use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, May 11, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been using .100 & .095 trimmer line for quite a while because I figure the thicker stuff would cut good with the little extra weight behind it and last a little longer. Today I decided to go with the lighter .080 stuff and I was impressed at how much better it cut thru liter grass while edging. I alway just use the round stuff because I figure the diamond shapped stuff gets dull in a few seconds anyway defeating its purpose.
    So my question is what type do you use & why?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i use the .80 stuff, i just walked into the store and grabbed a handful, never gave it much thought.

When the line ran out on my new Stihl (.95-.1) and i re-strung it with the .80 i was impressed. IT Did A MUCH BETTER JOB.

3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use .80 5 sided stuff I get from Wal-Mart on a 3 lb spool for $13. I can make it thru the season on 2 of those spools.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention, I bought a 3 lb spool of "titanium" line recently. Made by one of the MAJOR manufacturers. IT IS CRAP! It has "segments" that stick to itself in the spool causing clogs & it breaks off too easy at the segments.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I use .95 and .105 gauged line. I just bought some of that titanium line that Husqvarna puts out in the .95 gauge and I have ran the first spool full for over a week and I havent had to change it yet. I am very impressed. Normally though, I like any .105 round line. I really don't like the edged crap.
  6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Echo Cross-fire .105 ....Seemed the majority used it back in the day.
    Know Eric ELM did, and if it was good enough for him, it was deff. good enough for me!
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I didn't see the post just made above mine until after I posted, but the titanium line that I bought hasn't welded together, broken off at the "segments" or anything like that at all. I'm not by any means trying to say anything bad, but if you are having trouble with the line causing "clogs" it could be that you aren't winding the line on the spool quite right. Just a suggestion. Maybe if you tried winding it a little differently, you might have a little better luck.

PALANDSLAVER LawnSite Member

A good Pro weedeater can handle a .105 string( our 2 stihls and 4 Shinds.). We like to use suare Gator line thate is made from the same people that make our Gator blades for our mowers.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've always used the shind stuff, i used the one they make with the metal line in it and its alot tougher for heavy grass and by fences, but I'm using the regular stuff now. When this spool runs out i'm going to get something else just to see what i like better.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

In order to get the best performance from trimmer line always store it in water. It takes about a week for the line become completely soaked and ready to use.

Always insist on MN-7 grade line. It will give the best cut and last longer. There are more and more speciality lines such as "gator line" coming on the market. Some perform better than others but a lot has to do with the operator. A high quality line used properly will only show wear at the tip of the line and will never fray or split.

The problem with line sticking together inside the head is called "sonic welding" and can be prevented by giving the line a shot of WD-40 after winding the spool.

During my 20 years in the commercial cutting business I have always used fixed line heads and feel they give the best performance and use less line. The last 18 of these 20 years I have been an equipment dealer and the majority, probably 80% of our trimmers have been sold with fixed line heads. I will admit it is harder to learn to use a fixed line head with 4 lines than a 2 line tap and go but many of our customes have never used a tap and go.