1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what gun to use for spraying for Japanese Beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have an old 12 volt atv type of tank sprayer and would like to mix up some talstar to spray my plants for jap. beetles. what gun to use for spraying for the shrubs? i have a chem lawn gun on it now.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

does the pump generate enough flow. Usually those small plastic tanks with the suflo pumps only generate about 1-2 GPM...With a jd9 you'd need more pressure to get an distance ont he gun. Heck you'd proably get better distance and dropelet coverage with a spray wand from a backpack sprayer...
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Check out Northern Tool if you have one in your area. A pressure wash gun is what I use with a 12V pump. I use the same fast snaps tips just like pressure washers, only the smallest tips. I also use fast snaps on my hose so I can change to a wand quickly. For Shrubs I like a 25 to 40 degree tip to get more of a direct spray. A zero degree tip will give you more height for spraying tall plants or small trees.

BTW the cheaper guns work just as good at low pressure like we use.
  4. storm-shadow

storm-shadow LawnSite Member

I use a blower/mister (air-blast) unit to do ornamentals, I have used many other app. units. I have had the best results with fine mist nozzle's (tee-jet) & a 5' wand extension to direct the mist upward w/o having to stick your arm into the foliage.
    One more quick word of advice. I would not use your sprayer to do ornimentals if you have used a 2-4D product in the tank, tends to persist even after triple rinse.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the John Bean 757 Spray Gun. I use a small # 5 Disc which comes with other discs, and the Gun. I have been using this gun for 3 seasons on my Echo SHR-210 Powered Backpack which has a low output of Max 1.9GPM. Similar to what you have.

It is very easy and inexpensive to rebuild also. No Leaks and a great trigger lock system.

I also use this same gun sometimes with one of my Large Tank sprayers with a # 10 Disc @ 300 PSI working Pressure.

Try it, you'll like it :)

Pete D.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

JD-9 if you have the volume to run the small tip.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Hypo 12V pump that draws 30 amps at 8.5 gpm and 100 PSI. But it cost $ 600 and can be rebuilt. But I ASSUME when people say 12V pumps they are talking about the small Shurflo or Flojet type pumps that sell for $ 100 and are throw aways. BTW I have replaced diaphrams in those pumps, But find the economic to be better replacing the pump.

My point here is with a 1/2 hose the 4.9 Shurflo can push a JD 9 gun. My first real lawn spray rig was in fact a second hand 100 gallon tank with Two 4.9 Shurflo pumps and a 1/2 electric hose reel. I applied at 5 gallon per K with that unit and it served me well. But I wouldn't want to go back to it.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ant use a shot gun just blast the snot out of the buggers:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We like Hypro pumps. Turf: D-30 + TeeJet lawn guns. Trees: D-50 + JD-9 pistol or tree rifle (60 foot tall maximum). Hydracell D-50 pump + one inch hose + 800 psi + FMC tree rifle w/large orafice will get even higher up. After that.....you're gunna need an RPG.
  10. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys.. for your replys..