What happened here?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Sarge2914, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Class 5 isn't used around here, we use Item 4, I'm assuming its basically the same thing, up to 3/4 inch gravel with smaller aggregate and stone dust mixed in? In any case, any paver installation needs a compacted base, usually 6'' deep of a gravel base material. Hand tamping will never compact it the same way that a vibrating compactor (motorized) will.

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

One other issue I see is the amount of weeds growing up from the seams. On the close up of the pavers it looks is if the joints are barely filled in. Polymetric sand should have been used to fill in the space in between pavers, sealing the gaps and controling the weed growth. This sand is swept into the gaps and then wet down, it hardens when wet, similar to concrete.

3. Sarge2914

Sarge2914 LawnSite Member

Oh believe me, we have put polymeric sand in as well as the sand that the guy put in at the installation of the patio, but it kept disappearing -- not washing out, falling down into the ground or sinking somewhere. The amount of weeds is not the way it usually is -- if we don't pull them up every week as well as using sprays, we could call this a "wooded lot". The guy pinched pennies everywhere and cut corners so he could put more money in his pocket. You all have been so helpful. The idiot who did my patio doesn't hold a candle to you all. Thanks again.

Anne

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in Hampstead. I would be interested in rebuilding the patio.

5. Sarge2914

Sarge2914 LawnSite Member

To neversatisfied: give me your contact info. and I will be glad to have you come over and give me an estimate. You are licensed right?:laugh:

6. neversatisfiedj

Creative Hardscapes
    Hampstead,MD

Josh Upman
    410-259-3096

7. neversatisfiedj

Anne - Give me a call and I will come out and look at it for you.

Josh

410 259 3096