What happened here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by f50lvr2, Jun 13, 2011.

1. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I went out to do my normal Monday yards today and noticed two yards that had terrible striping right underneath where my tire tracks were from last week.

Let me preface by saying that I only to the mowing maintenance on these two properties, they are serviced weekly, grass is bagged, cut at an appropriate height (3.5-4"). I had sharp blades on that morning and the mowers were clean top to bottom and under the deck from washing them during the weekend.

These first two pictures are of the worst occurrence of this on the customers front yard followed by two pictures of the back yard. The back yard had this damage as well, it wasn't as severe and is mowed with a different mower.

kbfront.jpg

kbfront2.jpg

kbback.jpg

kbback2.jpg

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow! subscribe

3. f50lvr2

These pics are from a separate yard mowed the same day but several hours apart from the first. The first two are of the back yard which had the damage and the last picture is the front yard, which had no damage and looked fine.

I know for a fact that these folks water their front yard and not the back yard. Last week we had a severe heat wave come through early in the week and is the only thing that was different that week. I'm talking very hot also, 102 degrees plus, we even hit 101 degrees at midnight last week.

pvback.jpg

pvback2.jpg

pvfront.jpg

4. jhouchins

jhouchins LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Looks like damage from the heat. Brittle grass with a heavy mower on top. That would be my guess.

5. f50lvr2

Just to give you an idea, here are some pictures of the neighbors yards mowed the same day, in the same conditions, etc.

I know these pictures aren't very good quality, they were taken with my old blackberry.

dsfront.jpg

yard stripes.jpg

yard stripes2.jpg

6. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto...My feelings exactly.

7. f50lvr2

That's the only thing I could think of. If you can see, you'll notice that the areas with shade don't have much damage and on the first picture the first couple of passes along the edge are still pretty green where the sprinklers give the best coverage.

Can this be reversed just by watering the crap out of it? I told the customers to water more frequently and deeper to help the yard recover. Is there anything else that can help bring it back quickly?

Here's another pic taken from a yard mowed that same day. No damage here and I know he waters regularly.

bzback.jpg

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Watering will help but the top soil is most likely the real cause. Lawns that burn up quickly usually don't have enough top soil and are very sensitive to heat, drought, heavy equipment etc. etc.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

The heat wave did it.

10. SLMGT

SLMGT LawnSite Member

High temps and drought conditions cause something similiar in this area. The discolored areas aren't usually as wide though.:usflag: