1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what happened to our "early" Fall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 7, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Many of us predicted an early leaf drop. Well here in PA the leaves are only barely beginning to show signs of turning. wIth the heat and dryness I was certain we'd see early leaf drop. Actually in looking at my own trees, it almost looks like they will hold their leaves like they did a few years ago when we had a wet summer. It was Decemeber until the pears came down.
    Anyone else surprised how the trees have held on so far?
  2. Trees here haven't even begun to show color changes yet.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its still early for us here, but with all the rain this year it will probably be later again. Good thing, I don't have time for leaf jobs just yet.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

in this area ,we had a lot o leaves dn due to drought. then the trees rebounded with rain. now it getting dry again.
    but i still expect we will have a long leaf season,barring a real unseasonal freez.
    these day tho, u just deal w what comes,
    as theres no counting on the weather.
    never was i guess.
  5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking about this on the weekend.

being further north, we usually have quite a bit of leaf coverage by now.

but this yr, really yet to throw the catcher on. just hasn't happened. the colour is starting to turn though.

gonna be a long fall:)
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

around here the leaves are starting change, but nothing spectacular yet. i usually start first round cleanups right around halloween, but im not sure if there will be enough down by then. i sure hope so though.
  7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here we are lucky to get much color. This year we did. Have yet to have a frost. Some years we have gotten 10 inches of snow the end of Sept.
    This year there is good color, shades of yellow, and orange to red. Looks nice. But the leaves are beginning to drop pretty good now the last couple of days.
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

its so damm windy up where you are at Brickman its a wonder a leaf would stay on a tree during the summer :D
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You know why the wind blows so hard in WY?

Hint most people in NE don't want to know the answer. :D :D

Actually the summers aren't bad for wind. Now winter and spring. Its bad.:dizzy:
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Told ya Gary...you were getting too nervous too soon back in the Summer when we had that drought. Now look around?

Actually right now, I think the leaves are staying green and holding on longer this year then in past...dunno:confused: